Craft Cafe

my4kidsrock2
Need ideas asap please!
December 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

My nephew died 11 years ago at the age of 1 year and 9 days old.

Tomorrow would have been his 12th birthday. He passed away on Dec. 20th, which is also his mom's birthday. So this is a very hard time of year for her and the family.

Every year my husband and I try to do something special to remember Cameron. It's usually something small. This year we don't have the money to buy or do anything and I have no idea what I could make or do for free. I have tons of crafting supplies on hand that I can use. I just have no idea what to do with any of it.

So, I have until tomorrow to figure something out and make/do it. I can't come up with anything. Can you ladies please help?

Replies

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    December 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Is this something you do for your family ( husband kids etc) something you give to the parents, or a memorial ?

I have seen several projects with " Someone we (or I ) love is in Heaven , so there is a little bit of Heaven in my (our) home" I have seen slightly different wording too. I think those are nice. I have seen ornaments, framed pictures , cross stitch projects, embroidered on pretty fabric and hung in a hoop or frame, and on tiles.

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    December 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

If you have clear ornaments you could put feathers ( I have seen glitter too ) in it and put his name on the bottom or on the top (I have seein it in gold that looks like a halo)

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    December 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

What about a special salt dough ornament or "stepping stone" ?

• HeathersRich
    December 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    Someone in here did Angel ornaments which were real pretty and simple. I plan on making them for Christmas.
  • djscinnabun
    December 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Do you have scrapbook supplies? You could do the lyrics to Hello Goodbye by Michael W Smith, or There You'll Be by Faith Hill, with your nephew's name somehow highlighting the piece, like vertically down the left hand border? You could even frame it if you happen to have anything that might work for that, or hit Dollar Tree for a frame for $1. Another idea might be knitting or crocheting a prayer shawl with his name embroidered near the border, so they can feel as wrapped in warmth and love as he is resting in the arms of Jesus, if they happen to believe in heaven (I don't know if your family is religious or not?) Good luck and God's peace!

• GoldenLinds
    December 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    What about using your social networking. Try and send a message to everyone she knows asking them to simply light a candle tho remember him and post the photo and tag her on that day. Fill her newsfeed with "birthday wishes" and a "candle light memorial". No cost to you and sure to fill her heart. Then maybe just get her a candle and put a photo on it.
  • my4kidsrock2
    December 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

It's something we usually do for my sister in law and her family. We've done a lot of ornaments so I am kind of wanting something a little different this year

Quoting sew4fun:

Is this something you do for your family ( husband kids etc) something you give to the parents, or a memorial ?

I have seen several projects with " Someone we (or I ) love is in Heaven , so there is a little bit of Heaven in my (our) home" I have seen slightly different wording too. I think those are nice. I have seen ornaments, framed pictures , cross stitch projects, embroidered on pretty fabric and hung in a hoop or frame, and on tiles.

• my4kidsrock2
    December 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Yesterday was the national candle lighting to remember children who have passed so everyone has already lit a candle for him and lots of people posted the pics with early birthday messages. Otherwise that would be a great idea. I do like the idea of the photo on the candle though. They light candles for him often. Thanks!

Quoting GoldenLinds:

What about using your social networking. Try and send a message to everyone she knows asking them to simply light a candle tho remember him and post the photo and tag her on that day. Fill her newsfeed with "birthday wishes" and a "candle light memorial". No cost to you and sure to fill her heart. Then maybe just get her a candle and put a photo on it.

• my4kidsrock2
    December 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I love both of those ideas but with all of the crafts I do scrap booking or knitting/crocheting are not among them, lol. I may have to find someone that does for next year though. Thanks for the ideas.

Quoting djscinnabun:

Do you have scrapbook supplies? You could do the lyrics to Hello Goodbye by Michael W Smith, or There You'll Be by Faith Hill, with your nephew's name somehow highlighting the piece, like vertically down the left hand border? You could even frame it if you happen to have anything that might work for that, or hit Dollar Tree for a frame for $1. Another idea might be knitting or crocheting a prayer shawl with his name embroidered near the border, so they can feel as wrapped in warmth and love as he is resting in the arms of Jesus, if they happen to believe in heaven (I don't know if your family is religious or not?) Good luck and God's peace!

• djscinnabun
    December 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Could you burn her a cd with those songs maybe? You could do the scrapbook thing just using free photoshop type programs - maybe turn a photo of his to sepia and layer the text of the song in white letters over the photo...

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

I love both of those ideas but with all of the crafts I do scrap booking or knitting/crocheting are not among them, lol. I may have to find someone that does for next year though. Thanks for the ideas.

Quoting djscinnabun:

Craft Cafe