So this is my dead piano, Old Chap.
His pedals don't really work, he can't hold tuning (so things don't sound all that nice), and some keys don't ring, but only give a little "plink."
Betsy is being dropped off tomorrow to relieve him of duty, but I just couldn't stand the thought of destroying him after so many years of loyal service; we bought him USED when I was very young, and this is the piano I learned to play on, starting at age six.
The plan is to gut him, then sanding, staining, and finally being repurposed as a desk!
Here's today's progress (pics in replies). Ollie took a good nap, so I was able to make some great progress!
Lid open, front panel (the one that had the music rack attached) removed.
This part was beyond easy; there were two pegs holding it in with a pivoting piece holding them in... Just twist those, and pull it off!
It took some serious thought and inspection to figure out how to remove the assembly holding the hammers, but I managed to get it out of there in one piece!
After this, I also disconnected the pedals and removed the mechanisms, and unscrewed/removed the lid. Before the new piano, Betsy, is dropped off tomorrow, I need draw up a plan of attack to get the wires loosened/removed (if you cut them, they could decapitate you. No joke) and get the pin board out. This is by far the heaviest piece, and will be given to my brother to scrap.