Craft Cafe

DaiTilley
Day One: Piano to Desk conversion!
Dai
November 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

IMG-20121116-02589.jpg

So this is my dead piano, Old Chap.
His pedals don't really work, he can't hold tuning (so things don't sound all that nice), and some keys don't ring, but only give a little "plink."
Betsy is being dropped off tomorrow to relieve him of duty, but I just couldn't stand the thought of destroying him after so many years of loyal service; we bought him USED when I was very young, and this is the piano I learned to play on, starting at age six.
The plan is to gut him, then sanding, staining, and finally being repurposed as a desk!
Here's today's progress (pics in replies). Ollie took a good nap, so I was able to make some great progress!

Replies

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    November 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM
    I couldn't believe how quick I got it apart today, and no power tools required lol

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Looks like you got a wonderful start. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    November 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM
    It really was! =)
    I'd forgotten how relaxing it can be to just rip something to pieces ;)

Quoting MissElissa21:

Looks like so much fun! 

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    November 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    Thanks! It would have probably been better had this opportunity presented itself AFTER Christmas, but I figure I'll get it started, then finish up Christmas gifts, and then come back to it =)

Quoting jessejames2954:

looking good have fun

• ShaunnaMichelle
    November 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

What a genius idea! I love it! 

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    November 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM
    Thanks! I found the idea when I was browsing for options to upcycle a piano, and as soon as I saw the picture, I knew that was what I wanted to do!

Quoting ShaunnaMichelle:

What a genius idea! I love it! 

• meliscool72
    November 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

where are you from? That looks exactly like the one I sold when I was young.

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    November 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM
    Illinois (Chicago area)

Quoting meliscool72:

• meliscool72
    November 17, 2012 at 2:36 AM

ok that is definatly not the piano I sold then lol

Quoting DaiTilley:

Illinois (Chicago area)

Quoting meliscool72:

• melliburger
    November 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

WOW!

• black.eyeliner
    November 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I love your beautiful idea to recycle the piano. So many things go to the dump. It is a wonderful thing when this are repurposed. You are doing a great job and I love the idea of making the keys into art. 

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN