Craft Cafe

gina6239
Barbie Clothes
November 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I bought a pattern that has several Barbie ourfits, including a gorgeous wedding dress, a fairy gown, and several others. Today I started to make some clothes for DD for xmas. It is so hard!!!! I am having so much trouble working with the tiny peices and the patterns are not at all simple. I saw some easier looking ideas on pinterest, but I hate to waste the money I spent on the pattern. 

Has anyone made any Barbie clothes before and had success? Any suggestions? 

I hate all the slutty clothes they make for Barbie! Ugh. 

Replies

• mariesmama
    November 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

send somebody else the pattern,and pay them to assemble it?i love barbie clothes, but this yr im trying to figure out how to make american girl clothes so my 3 yr old can dress them herself  one yr in high school i made 4 different barbie wardrobes to give to the kids i babysat

• Jodyblonde2007
    November 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

My mom has crocheted barbie clothes before I could ask her about her success, I personally haven't tried yet. I'll let you know what she says, and good luck. Oh and I agree about the Barbie clothes that are out there.

• nebcutie
    November 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I am working american girl stuff too! I am buying my first pattern next week but am knitting a few things for them first.I could not even do the barbie clothes for the same reason, such tiny clothes no way can I do it. lol

Quoting mariesmama:

send somebody else the pattern,and pay them to assemble it?i love barbie clothes, but this yr im trying to figure out how to make american girl clothes so my 3 yr old can dress them herself  one yr in high school i made 4 different barbie wardrobes to give to the kids i babysat

• maine2896
    November 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I found some by typing in freecrochetpatterns.  U just have to search a little

• The_Monster_Mom
    November 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    Such tiny details. I couldn't do it!!
  • gina6239
    November 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I can't wait to be making american girl doll clothes! I saved my Molly doll for when I had a daughter, but she is still too young for that. I can't afford to pay someone to make the clothes right now, but I think I will try the simpler patterns I found online. 

Quoting nebcutie:

I am working american girl stuff too! I am buying my first pattern next week but am knitting a few things for them first.I could not even do the barbie clothes for the same reason, such tiny clothes no way can I do it. lol

Quoting mariesmama:

• RutterMama
    November 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    Me either!!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Such tiny details. I couldn't do it!!
  • nebcutie
    November 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Yes me and a sewing machine do not work well together yet but i am working on it. Lol we found a cute one at hobby lobby the other day that has the pajamas, robe, sleeping bag, back pillow and carrying bag. I think that will be our first one.

Quoting gina6239:

I can't wait to be making american girl doll clothes! I saved my Molly doll for when I had a daughter, but she is still too young for that. I can't afford to pay someone to make the clothes right now, but I think I will try the simpler patterns I found online. 

Quoting nebcutie:

Quoting mariesmama:

• Stillvnu
    November 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yes, Barbie clothes are challenging with the tiny seams, etc.  I have made several over the years and have thought of making some for Christmas this year for the grandkids ... my first suggestion is to NOT start with silky fabric's ... start simple with a gathered skirt, fleece poncho, looser clothing will have more fabric and easier to handle until you get into the groove.  Pick a style that you are comfortable to make and just change the fabric's and trims ... if your daughter is young she won't they are all the same and will love them!

Check out this blog ... http://www.ellzabelle.com/2010/08/barbie-clothes.html

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    November 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I have a very hard time with Barbie clothes too. I just can not do them anymore. My friend used to "wing it" with the patterns and would not sew the back of the dresses, she would put little snaps in , she said that helped her a ton when it came to making them. She also had a little  tool to help turn things right side out that she said was a huge help. I have also heard of people taping pieces together ( in lue of pinning) then sewing , that is supposed to help a little bit. Hand sewing may  be easier also.

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN