Craft Cafe

bookmommy
Am I wasting my time with listings if I only have the design not the finished product?
April 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I have a dilemma. I have 2 stores on Etsy that I sell t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, magnets, etc. One is:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/bookmommyhs

and the other is:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/geektique

I don't have enough cash to make up the actual product for every design hoping it sells. I have been making the design and then in the listing I put that it is a custom item and will ship in a week when it is created.

I don't know if that puts people "off" though not being able to see the design ON the product though, although I don't have much choice right now. We simply don't have the cash to create all my designs hoping they sell, KWIM?

What do you think? Am I wasting my time?

Replies

• The_Monster_Mom
    April 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    I would at least make examples of a few things to photograph.
  • billssweety
    April 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I also do this, I have quite a few hats that can be ordered in any size there is no way I could have them all pre-made...

• mommytohuddy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

could you take the design idea and photoshop it onto your final products? Pretty much have a template for each product that you place the design on.  That way they get an idea of what it looks like but you will not need to create everything upfront. Then in your product listing make sure to put the production time.

• bookmommy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I do have at least one other item in most of the categories with a different design. I could do that as an example of how the designs look..

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

• bookmommy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Oh good, I wasn't sure if others had to do this as well. Thanks for replying..

Quoting billssweety:

I also do this, I have quite a few hats that can be ordered in any size there is no way I could have them all pre-made...

• bookmommy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I do use templates for each item, but it's basically just a grid or box showing the area the design needs to be in. I don't think I could photoshop the design onto the item exactly as it would look. I wonder if it were clse if that'd be ok, I wouldn't want people saying the deign looked different than what they recieved, but I don't know if people are THAT picky either. I'm new to all this..

I do make sure to put my production time in the listing as well.

Thanks!!!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

could you take the design idea and photoshop it onto your final products? Pretty much have a template for each product that you place the design on.  That way they get an idea of what it looks like but you will not need to create everything upfront. Then in your product listing make sure to put the production time.

• mommytohuddy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

this is an example of where I did that for my store at one point. Just from past experience it helps to see a tshirt design on a tshirt. Even if it is just a vector tshirt and not the final shirt. The shape helps them view it as a completely product. Here is where I did a quick one to show a lady how I wanted her to make a custom shirt for my son.

Quoting bookmommy:

I do use templates for each item, but it's basically just a grid or box showing the area the design needs to be in. I don't think I could photoshop the design onto the item exactly as it would look. I wonder if it were clse if that'd be ok, I wouldn't want people saying the deign looked different than what they recieved, but I don't know if people are THAT picky either. I'm new to all this..

I do make sure to put my production time in the listing as well.

Thanks!!!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

• bookmommy
    April 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Oh,I like the vector art idea, that way it gives a basic idea but its not exact..Thanks!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

this is an example of where I did that for my store at one point. Just from past experience it helps to see a tshirt design on a tshirt. Even if it is just a vector tshirt and not the final shirt. The shape helps them view it as a completely product. Here is where I did a quick one to show a lady how I wanted her to make a custom shirt for my son.

• cowgirls10181
    April 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Keep pervously made sold photos up. It shows the product you can make put they can order them.
  • ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    April 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I agree

I wouldn't expect verything to be stocked-but seeing the print actually on items would spark more interest than just seeing the design alone.

Craft Cafe