Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
JTMOM422
Some people's nerve
June 16 at 8:59 PM

Yesterday we were at the mall and we decided to grab some lunch. Hubby and dd went to get gyros and Little man and I decided to grab chinese. Well we were standing in line and I was talking to him. The guy asked what we wanted and I turned to answer him. I turned back towards my son and he was GONE!. I felt my heart drop. I looked at the customers in line to see if he was by them. I checked the seating area. The lady behind me says "boy he is fast" and starts laughing. This lady didn't feel it necessary to let me know my son was running off. She thought laughing about it was better. I could have hit her. I found my son about 10 yards away and the shoe store stimming off the numbers. I screamed for him and ran to him. I mean i was talking to him and then turned around for like 5 seconds and he was out of site. Needless to say I lost my appetitie and all I wanted to do was cry cause I felt like the most horrible mom there was for losing him.

Replies

• Momof4AEMW
    June 16 at 9:03 PM

Not your fault, Mama!  You're not a bad mom.  This could happen to any of us with eloping kids!  I'm glad you found him fast, and he is safe.  I'm sure you were shaken and scared.  Big hugs!!

• JTMOM422
    June 16 at 9:08 PM

It just bothered me that no one would even say anything. I know if I saw a child taking off I would let the parent know immediately. I have stopped kids from going out of stores before by themselves.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Not your fault, Mama!  You're not a bad mom.  This could happen to any of us with eloping kids!  I'm glad you found him fast, and he is safe.  I'm sure you were shaken and scared.  Big hugs!!

• Momof4AEMW
    June 16 at 9:27 PM

Yes, totally agree!!!  I would tell a parent if their kid was leaving.

Quoting JTMOM422:

It just bothered me that no one would even say anything. I know if I saw a child taking off I would let the parent know immediately. I have stopped kids from going out of stores before by themselves.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

• jowen905
    Jan
    June 16 at 9:33 PM

Oh, I can feel the panic in the pit of my stomach!  That happened to me a couple of times.  You know you're a great mom!

It's a shame that that person didn't say anything to you - I most definitely would have.  Some people just freeze up and don't know what to say or do.  I used to be like that - I was terribly shy - but as I got older and then had my son, I open my mouth all the time!  That was nothing to laugh about, though!

• JTMOM422
    June 16 at 9:35 PM

I don't think it had to do with her not being able to say anything. I think more along the lines of she thought it was funny. She stood there laughing about it and then started ordering her food

Quoting jowen905:

Oh, I can feel the panic in the pit of my stomach!  That happened to me a couple of times.  You know you're a great mom!

It's a shame that that person didn't say anything to you - I most definitely would have.  Some people just freeze up and don't know what to say or do.  I used to be like that - I was terribly shy - but as I got older and then had my son, I open my mouth all the time!  That was nothing to laugh about, though!

• lucasmadre
    June 16 at 10:13 PM

Brenda don't you dare blame yourself. It takes a village and that nasty woman could have done what any decent woman would do and tapped you on the shoulder and told you he was taking off. How many times have you stopped a running child so that his mom could catch up to him/her? I have done it dozens of times...I hated the mall when my boy was little and now he hates it so we very rarely go :)

• JTMOM422
    June 16 at 10:21 PM

I guess I am just not understand people nowadays. I mean I have stopped a little girl from running out of the therapy center 2 times. She was headed to the road both times. Her mom had her hands full with 2 other kids and she was very thankful. I know I would always make sure someone else's kids are safe. People just seem to want to not worry about someone else's problems. I understand to a point. But this was a child taking off. UGH

Quoting lucasmadre:

Brenda don't you dare blame yourself. It takes a village and that nasty woman could have done what any decent woman would do and tapped you on the shoulder and told you he was taking off. How many times have you stopped a running child so that his mom could catch up to him/her? I have done it dozens of times...I hated the mall when my boy was little and now he hates it so we very rarely go :)

• TheJerseyGirl
    June 17 at 6:04 AM

Now THAT'S scary!

And you are not a horrible mom ! Unfortunately all it takes are a few seconds for a child to run off without you noticing...but would it have killed someone else in line to stop him or at least let you know?  WTH

• ineedcoffeemom
    June 17 at 7:46 AM

Yeah, if I had been behind you, I probably would have tried to catch him myself, then immediately tell you if I wasn't successful. But so many are taught in today's society to keep to themselves and not interfere and people have accepted this so wholeheartedly they forgot to use some dang common sense.

Sorry mama. Just remember it's ok. Kids run off. It happens. It doesn't make you a horrible parent. The horrible parent would have not cared and still ordered their meal, lol.

• Nickmom1118
    June 17 at 8:10 AM
    So sorry that woman didn't tell you what was happening or which way he went. That was awful that she laughed at you! Big hugs! You are an excellent mom. I do agree that she should have said something.

I remember this one time that I was I. Walmart. Nick was an infant. This mom had 4 kids with her. The one boy decided to sneak away and hide under the clothing. She started to move on and didn't notice. I stopped and told her that he was under the clothing. She was thankful.

Hugs again. And I couldn't imagine how scared you were. Thank god you found him safe and fast. :)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN