Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
Treesmaroff
Hi There
March 26 at 12:14 PM

Hi, I'm Theresa and my son Michael, who will be 7 in April, was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum and ADHD. The diagnosis comes as a relief- after years of wondering what was going on with my son. My husband and I feel like we are treading in unfamiliar water, and any help pr advice would be greatly appreciated (esp with meltdowns and hitting during them!). Michael is a sweetie,  and we are so hopeful . Thanks for reading my post!

Replies

• Jenibob
    by Jenibob
    March 26 at 1:41 PM

Welcome to the group!  I've found this site to be extremely helpful on our ASD journey.  These Mom's here rock.  Hope you find the same support here.

Meltdowns are definitely no fun for anyone.  You may see older posts/boards with suggestions about meltdowns.

We've learned here to go into detective mode to find out what is contributing to the meltdown (what time of day, what's going on before it occurs, where does it occur, who does it occur with, all the who what where when why).  Once you identify what's causing the meltdown you can better troubleshoot for it and try to prevent or lessen the demand your son is experiencing.  

No More Meltdowns by Jeb Baker has been a helpful resource for us.  

• jowen905
    Jan
    March 26 at 2:14 PM

Welcome to the group!  This is a great group of supportive moms.  My son's 12 now, doesn't really have meltdowns anymore, but something that really helped him (and continues to help him) was always trying to "frontload" him before we went anywhere, or we were having people come over, whatever - just letting him know as many details about what to expect helped him to relax and be prepared for a new situation.  Reading past posts on here is a great idea to get some advice.  Just don't get too overloaded on your research - you don't have to try to learn everything today or tomorrow (which is what I put myself through years ago!).  Feel free to ask anything, and again, welcome!

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    March 26 at 2:31 PM

Welcome Theresa!  How does Michael do in school?

• darbyakeep45
    March 27 at 5:21 AM

Welcome Theresa!  Glad you're here:)

• wildchild.com
    March 27 at 6:57 AM
    Hello & welcome. My son is 9 & has adhd & autism.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN