Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
SamMom912
How do you leave your Doc?
January 6 at 7:49 PM

I think I need to break up with my sons Doctor, I like her alot. But shes been consistantly raising her fees since we started when he was 5. She is great, she sees him 2xs a month. She sees me 1 time to talk about progress. When we first started with her she was 175 per hour, she is now up to 250 an hour. 

This is all out of pocket, she does not take insurance. 

I just dont think I can do that anymore, as much as i like her, i just cant afford to spend 750 a month on one doctor. sam still has his social skills group 1x a week at 100 a week, (400 a month) his swim lessons at 250 for 8 sessions (which start again in Feb) his OT at 75 per week.

is it wrong that I dnt want to continue based on money? 

I know starting over is costly too... But i feel like this is so much.

what do I say to her? Thanks, youve been a big help, but .... 

Replies

• lucasmadre
    January 6 at 8:37 PM

Absolutely not, I couldn't begin to spend that kind of money so if I were you I would explain you love her but you just can't afford this expense anymore. She may be willing to lower her fees for such a loyal and long standing client...if not I can't help wondering why she is sooooo expensive. Don't feel bad about bringing it up, it is a lot of money for anyone to spend monthly. Good luck~

• lady-J-Rock
    January 6 at 8:40 PM

I'd look around first. See the comparable offices, figure out if any accept your insurance. Even visit one a few times if you really like her.

• Momof4AEMW
    January 6 at 8:41 PM

I'd be honest and say you have appreciated her help, but the rising costs just do not work out for our family.  I'd even ask if she had a good referral for you for someone that would take your insurance.  My kids have a lot of doctoring and therapy services that are 10k/month minimum prior to insurance.  If they don't take our insurance, I can't go there or we wouldn't have that therapy.  I want to give the kids all I can, but we have to be able to have money to meet their basic needs as well as their interventions.  I'm sure as a doctor she will totally understand, you are not the only one.  The out of pocket expenses you just listed there is no way we could afford per month for one of our children, let alone having 3 that would require the same services.  Totally fair for you to move on and find someone new.

• Krissyc75
    January 6 at 9:05 PM

May  I ask is she a speech therapist or another therapist of any kind? We are fortunate our speech/ot takes our insurance or it would be the same pricing your mentioning. Remember everything is negotiable, sounds like your son and the doctor have a great relationship, let her know that and if she truly is in it to help she should help you and your family out and "grandfather " you in and make the 250 amount for the new patients.

Hope this helps:) Good Luck!

• HippoCat
    January 7 at 12:47 AM

Oh my gosh- that's a lot f money out of pocket! I would just be honest with her. She's got to understand that.

• darbyakeep45
    January 7 at 6:15 AM

I agree 100% here!  Hugs and good luck!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I'd be honest and say you have appreciated her help, but the rising costs just do not work out for our family.  I'd even ask if she had a good referral for you for someone that would take your insurance.  My kids have a lot of doctoring and therapy services that are 10k/month minimum prior to insurance.  If they don't take our insurance, I can't go there or we wouldn't have that therapy.  I want to give the kids all I can, but we have to be able to have money to meet their basic needs as well as their interventions.  I'm sure as a doctor she will totally understand, you are not the only one.  The out of pocket expenses you just listed there is no way we could afford per month for one of our children, let alone having 3 that would require the same services.  Totally fair for you to move on and find someone new.

• SamMom912
    January 7 at 7:47 AM

A psychologist therapist. 

Shes been great.. But I started thinking last night that Im also feeling kind of stagant... So add that feeling to the cost and ... I think I need to move on... 

She HAS been great, shes given me great insight, she has recommended a littany of books that are super helpful.

no one here takes insurance. We are densely populated outside NYC and Drs dont have to bother with the paperwork.. They leave it for us, the patients. And insurance is so slimy. 

For example, my sons speech is 100 per 45 min social skills group. So after ive met my deducatable 8 can submit a bill for 100 and for out of network providers (and ere are NO in network, because all the drs here do this) so im supposed to get 60 percent of 100 back.. BUT the insurance says 100 isnt a reasonable fee, 50 is the "going rate" for speech (not here it isnt!) so I get reimbursed 60 percent of 50.. Which is 30 dollars.. So Im paying 70 per week out of pocket.. With all the fun and aggrivation of dealing with insurance. 

It sucks. 

We are in the middle.. Middle class. My hubby works super hard to afford our nice house and nice car. We have high taxes and save some money,, BUT with that we get the "benefit" of being put in this horrible position of picking and choosing what our kid gets for help... What we can "afford" and what is too much. And its wicked hard... Now dont kisunadertand.. I appreciate our nice house in our good neighborhood.. Good school district.. BUT i hate that we are stuck...

there is this AWESOME doctor that was recommended by my SIL who is a dean at a psych college near here. The doc is 800 per hour (not covered) IF we were rich (like many other people here outside NYC.. We could go, and it wouldnt matter..it wouldnt impact our wallet too much...). Or if we were financially struggling we could go, cause they take medicaid and other assisted medical insurance.. But we arent either.. So we dont get to go. It sucks... Sorry for the rant... 

Quoting Krissyc75:

May  I ask is she a speech therapist or another therapist of any kind? We are fortunate our speech/ot takes our insurance or it would be the same pricing your mentioning. Remember everything is negotiable, sounds like your son and the doctor have a great relationship, let her know that and if she truly is in it to help she should help you and your family out and "grandfather " you in and make the 250 amount for the new patients.

Hope this helps:) Good Luck!

• SamMom912
    January 7 at 7:48 AM

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

No one takes insurance here... :( 

• letstalk747
    January 7 at 10:49 AM

whoa , i could never pay that - but i would want to stay with a good DR

• aidensmomma508
    January 7 at 11:11 AM

Find a dr your insurance takes get an appointment 

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts