Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
lady_katie
First poop smearing...hugs please!
January 5 at 4:43 PM

Well, it happened, my son discovered poop in his diaper. I really cannot complain because he only smeared it on the floor (hardwood) and a couple of toys before I caught him. It really could have been a lot worse, especially considering he smeared it right next to my new shag rug that is less than a week old and our new sectional that is only a few months old. I would have had a heart attack if it ended up on those things, so I am very grateful that the mess was as easy to clean up as it was! 

Of course, now I'm nervous that he's going to do it again. My husband is thinking that we'll punish him if he does, but I'm thinking more along the lines of how I'm going to restrict his access to his diaper. 

Replies

• mustbeGRACE
    January 5 at 4:57 PM

I didn't deal with this with my son. He is 14 now and has Aspergers..

It occurs to me that even neurotypical kids can get great joy from smearing poo sometimes.

I would make a big deal when changing his diaper about how gross poo is.

I would  squinch up my face and make shoo shoo noises and show a lot of general disgust and let him see you dump it in the potty and flush and then throw the diaper away. Perhaps touch it lightly yourself and then act upset about it. Maybe this would evenually discourage him from wanting anything to do with it.

Maybe a light pat on the bum with adamant no-no s.

Some folks might try the approach of ignoring it and diverting his attention in another room while you clean up the mess.

Maybe making a real big deal could  just reinforce the behaviour.

I think I probably lean this way about it.

Also have Dad take him when he goes and let him see before he flushes.

As potty training wore on, I began to suspect that my kids were entertained by my husband and I pulling our hair out over it all  :  )

It's a process that took a while for both my kids.

• Gloria1025
    January 5 at 4:58 PM

Hugs - my son went through a phase of that.  I wish I had some words of wisdom.  Like you, we tried just to prevent but he never did it in front of us.  He would do it in the 1-2 minutes we were focused on his brother but like you, we at least would catch him before it was a big mess.  I don't know why but he stopped on his own.  The "phase" lasted about 3 months for my son and he didn't do it every time, but about once a week.  Hopefully someone else has some suggestions.  

• trippyhippy
    January 5 at 5:03 PM
    Sorry that sucks. We had a serious poo smearing addict on our hands. it lasted for a few years and got so bad we had to put a night vision camera in his room. We finally fixed that problem the day we started giving him an iPad in bed. I don't think hes done it since and its been a couple years. He just needed something to entertan himself with o guess.
  • Momof4AEMW
    January 5 at 5:09 PM

HUGE HUGS!!!  My son has been a poop and painter at time.  Often at nap (quiet) time while alone in his room.  Augh!  So terrible, so I can sympathize!!  Just another sensory issue you gotta love (ok, tolerate!)  

You can do stuff like duck tape diapers, put them in zippy onsie pjs turned around backwards so he can't unzip, stuff like that.  They can still get to it.  :(  I put a camera monitor in his room to watch him at quiet time, so I could catch him right away.  Helped some.   

• blue.butterfly
    January 5 at 6:54 PM

Ugh.

It's true that even NT kids do this. 

My son never liked to get his hands dirty, so in this instance that was a good thing. I remember his first birthday, how he didn't smash the cake like most other babies do, thinking that was...well, odd. Now I know there was a reason for it- likely a sensory issue. 

• mypbandj
    Jen
    January 5 at 11:06 PM
    Put zip up feet pjs on backwards (you have to cut off the feet first!). Then he can't get to it.

Provide him with lots of sensory play - finger paint with pudding, playdough, shaving cream etc. You can even heat the playdough.

I strongly urge you to not tell him how awful and gross his poop is. I've seen that backfire so bad when it's time to potty train. They develop an aversion to pooping when they're told it is gross or stinky or bad.
  • darbyakeep45
    January 6 at 6:20 AM

Hugs mama...we've never had this problem...yet!

• nandasmom5
    January 6 at 6:46 AM

We didn't have a poop smearing problem until after my son was potty trained--around 4 or 5.  I would take him to his "art work" and tell him it was gross and that he would be punished if we found it again.  It took a couple of times but he finally got the message and stopped doing it.  (This was before he was diagnosed.)  I don't know if that was the best approach but it worked for my son.  (My son went through a stage around 3-4 yrs old where he enjoyed making huge messages--there was a stick of butter incident, getting into my daughter's glittery lip gloss, among others.  ugh!)

I'm still not sure what weird behaviors stem from the asd or if he's actually being naughty.  My daughter sometimes resents it when I don't punish him but if it's the asd, he can't help it (I guess).  Maybe re-direction is a better approach?

• TheJerseyGirl
    January 6 at 7:58 AM

Guess what? D never did that at all, but you know who did? My NT daughter! I could've died...what a mess!!! She did it for a while and then all of a sudden stopped.

• megs2boys
    January 6 at 8:09 AM

Ugh we dealt with this for a while when Sammy was around 2, but it was moreso that he hated the sensory feeling of going so he'd stick his hands down there to find out what was going on and then it would get all over whatever he touched until we realized what he had done! Now at 4 we dont have the poop issue, instead we have the pee issue....he sticks his hand down his dipe (effectively pushing it down), yanks his penis over the top of the diaper and pees EVERYWHERE!!! (((HUGS))) I don't handle poop well!

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts