Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
humbledmom310
Not sure what to do...
October 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I posted once before about my five year old son . He is in a mainstreamed kindergarten and has recently been tested at a second grade reading and math level. He has a photographic memory and learns new information really fast. The school district is in the process of testing him for GATE and they are supposed to discuss the results to that testing on the 23rd of this month. They also will be discussing how they are going to provide an appropriate curriculum since his language and social skills are still challenged. The IEP meeting will be divided into two groups... those who believe he needs to be accelerated to a higher grade level and those who believe that a side by side needs to work on an accelerated curriculum in the kindergarten class with him. Both sides make great arguements such as... he may become to depended on the side by side and needs to be working in a group. Also questions like what happens when he hits fourth grade and he needs a curriculum the elementary school cannot provide? The other side says he needs to be with typical peers his own age and that being around older peers will alienate him . Anyways there is so much to think about.. I am wondering if any of you mothers have gone through any of these sort of challenges with your child and the school and what was done? I could use as much feedback as I could get. Thanks in Advance!!

Replies

• SamMom912
    October 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My son is academically advanced, but struggles with the demands of the classroom and has many social and emotional deficits. I let him skate through academics in the hopes he will focus the necessary energy to learning to better self regulate, make social connections, and better learn the ins and outs of school demands. I figure without the pressure or academic responsibility, his little brain can "catch up" to where he needs to be to be well rounded. 

that being said... Your little guy sounds brilliant.. id most likely push for a school change for small class size and working at a higher level... Many G and T schools are 6:1, 12:2 ratios.. And let the kids have a montessori approach to learning with kids that are 1 grade level below and above... (k, 1 and 2 in same grade.,,) If thats available, Id ask for that... Good luck. 

• Charizma77
    October 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I actually agree with everything the mom above me posted.  We have not gone through anything similar. My son is in an autism support class part time and mainstreamed part time and he does ok academically but definitely needs the support class for him to concentrate on learning...he is not advanced academically, he is right around his grade level.  

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    My son is labeled with autism and gifted at school. He spent his elementary school yrs in a private school that accelerated the curriculum for most of the kids anyway so I didn't worry about skipping him ahead or whatever. His social skills were delayed and there's no way he'd have made it in a higher grade.

Now that he's in high school, he can taken advanced classes.
  • darbyakeep45
    October 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Hugs and good luck mama!

• JTMOM422
    October 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

HUGS momma. This is out of my league. These mom's have some great ideas

• lucasmadre
    October 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My son has some learning disabilites along with his asd so it isn't our problem but I do think there is one thing you should consider. If the social aspect of asd is the biggest hurtle wouldn't putting him with older kids only make it less possible for him to learn how to interact with peers? In the long run isn't that one of the most important parts of school? Could they give him more challenging work to do at home with you but keep him with his peers during the day? Or maybe pull him out for excelled classes but leave him in his grade?

• HippoCat
    October 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

He sounds like a smart cookie. My son is just 4 so I don't really know how he is academically yet, but I think I would be inclined to keep him with his peers for the social aspect. If your kiddo is smart, he's just smart and he's gonna be smart regardless of his class and possibly search out more info on the subjects he is interested in so possibly the social aspect is what he really needs to get out if school. I also like what SamMom912 suggested.

• Bobcatridge
    October 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM

My 12 yr old daughter (aspergers, generalized anxiety disorder) is very smart and makes straight A's but emotionally and socially she is very far behind.  She goes to a private school that is academically challenging. She reads at college level, writes stories, and draws but has severe friend problems. She is also very good at math and science.  Now that she is in 7th grade she is taking honors algebra.  Initially she complained a little because she actually had to study but last week she said that the math teacher was her favorite teacher.  For our daughter I think it was the right decision not to have her skip grades but I think that decision is very dependent on the individual child.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts