Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
Charizma77
Can your ASD child...
October 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Blow their nose?

my son is almost 9 and can not blow his nose. His therapist and teachers have tried to teach him, I have tried..so frustrated because he gets frustrated and is constantly sucking the snot in and saying he can't breath. Anyone have any tricks? 

Replies

• letstalk747
    October 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM

nope mine is 13 and wont do this

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    My 3 yr old doesn't but my older kids do. I wish I remembered how I taught them.
  • darbyakeep45
    October 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Nope.  We aren't there yet:)

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    October 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I don't have a suggestion per say b/c DS was able to "get it" at a very young age.

Sometimes saline spray helps get the mucus out.

• RumaysasMom
    October 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    I know what you're going through. And I feel bad for your son, a stuffed nose is very uncomfortable. My non-ASD 7 year old had a hard time learning how to blow his nose too. But then one day he figured out a trick! Your son can try this himself or you can help him: hold the tissue in front of his nose push 'down' one of his nostrils against his nose then tell him to take a deep breath and then quickly blow out of the other nostril! I hope this helps!
    Also you can try to explain that blowing out is just like breathing except forcing the air out like a dragon :)
  • JTMOM422
    October 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Can you try breathing exercises to see if it works? Have him breathe deeply with his mouth closed and only through his nose. Have him exhale hard through his nose with his mouth still closed. My son is 3 and he pretends he can blow. Of course he is only blowing with his mouth lol

• emarin77
    October 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I hold one of my son's nose nostrils and tell him to push out.

• EthansMomma2010
    October 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

my son is 3 and does. we worked on it when he wasn't sick. i had my watch me without a tissue blow out my nose. we made it kind of a game. the we practiced with a tissue. i still have to hold the tissue, but for the most part, he gets the concept. hope that helps.

• MotoStar
    October 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Mine is 7 and has a horrible time blowing his nose.

He hates doing it, doesn't do it well and is constantly "sniffy" because of it!

Glad I'm not alone!

• Momof4AEMW
    October 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My 5 year old just started trying.  He asks for a tissue and really tries to and makes a noise, but I'm not sure if it is really effective at expelling anything or just something fun to do.  My other two 5 year olds can not really either. 

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN