Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

dmoodycollins
Transitioning preteen
October 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

My son is having a hard time transitioning to the teen class at church.He's to big in size for his old class.Not so good day.He's reach that adolescent age. :(

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    October 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Welcome to the group!  I'm sorry to hear the transition is hard thing for your son.  My son is only 5 so we aren't there yet...hugs and good luck!

• maciymommieof3
    October 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM

aww...poor guy...  I hope he gets used to it soon.

• dmoodycollins
    October 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thank you so much..

• Charizma77
    October 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

My son is only in the 3rd grade but I know what a huge change that it is between the elementary to the teen class at church. Have you talked to his leaders/teacher/youth pastor to brainstorm what might work best for him. Des he have any friends in the same class that could buddy up with him or maybe an old teen? I'm not there yet so not really sure.

• dmoodycollins
    October 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Yes, we had a meeting today.That age so difficult without any challenges hormones changing.I pray God will send him a close friend near his age.I think our plan right now is to teach SS at home then go to morning worship.I used to teach so I can give him one on one until he catches up some more.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I've always hated those jumps up into new things. Preschool to Kindergarten. Kindergarten to first grade. Elemementry school to middle school. Middle school to High school. I think it causes me more anxiety than the kids! But it all eventually works out. And if there are bumps along the way, I am there to support him through. I have to beleive that all of these things are learning experiences for him and will help him one day when he is older and I'm not there.

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    October 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Quoting dmoodycollins:

Yes, we had a meeting today.That age so difficult without any challenges hormones changing.I pray God will send him a close friend near his age.I think our plan right now is to teach SS at home then go to morning worship.I used to teach so I can give him one on one until he catches up some more.

What is SS? social skills?

• JTMOM422
    October 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to the group. Is there a way that they can maybe break the group into 3. Include a few of the older ones from his old class and a few of the younger ones from his new class to help?
  • dmoodycollins
    October 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

SS= Sunday School

• dmoodycollins
    October 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ok, I think we my a answer.I am blessed to have a ESE teacher attend our church.She's the ESE teacher for a local public school.They  use the inclusion concept in the that school.She is going do the same at our church.She will sit with him and guide him through class.She has some idea that she uses with her students.Feeling blessed today.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum