Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
SnortysMom
Respite Care
August 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

...do you use it?

DH and I know we can use it, but haven't yet. I know I really should get something set up for respite care because there are days I just need to get out of the house for a few hours and I don't really have anyone to watch DS. 

My mom lives with us and can watch DS only for short periods of time. My mom has some mobility problems, so she can't go to the park with DS nor does my mom drive anymore. 

I think my biggest worry is that the respite person won't know what to do if DS has a meltdown for some reason. 

Replies

• emarin77
    August 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Respite counselors are trained to work with kids with Autism.  If you are unsure I would just ask.  My son went to respite every Saturday during July.  He enjoyed many activities that respite had during the summer.  I will be having a counselor come to the home Sept. 11 for Open House at his school.  My son enjoys the company of these counselors.

• JTMOM422
    August 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I qualify for 28 hours a month of respite but don't use it. My son is not verbal enough and I would be uncomfortable leaving him with a stranger if he couldn't tell me what happened, Plus the respite will only watch my son I would have to find care for my dd still. Doesn't make sense but it is how it works

• Momof4AEMW
    August 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

We don't use it.  Only 2 of my kids qualify so I would have to have the other two with me, that isn't really a break.  And of the 2 that qualify, we really don't trust anyone else to watch them due to their health and communication issues.  I have yet to find a respite provider really qualified with past experience to handle them.  Where we live, there is not really training, they just have basic computer tests they need to pass on things like their paperwork, ethics, CPR, etc.  Not really on disability/care issues at all.  I just don't trust someone else to watch them when they can't at all communicate or help themselves.  So I'm tired and exhausted all the time, and partially my fault.  but the anxiety that comes with leaving them with someone isn't relaxing either.  The only person I trust is their teacher and my parents.

• darbyakeep45
    August 21, 2013 at 6:36 AM

My son qualifies for respite care, but we don't use it.  He doesn't need one more person in his life to get used to...

• lady_katie
    August 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Respite is the best! We only qualified for a teeny tiny bit, so we pay out of pocket for it, and it's been a lifesaver. Being on the spectrum myself, I just cannot deal with my sons behavior problems for long periods of time, and respite was the only solution. We actually send our son off to a "tot-drop" program, instead of having a worker come to the house. I feel more comfortable with him in a daycare setting, because if one of the workers can't figure out how to help him, perhaps another can. If we still need respite when he's older, I plan to try to find a student who is studying to work with children with special needs for in home care. I think they will be more motivated =) 

• HippoCat
    August 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM

You should be able to use your mom. She'll just get paid for some of the time she spends with your DS, depending on wht you are eligible for. You can use her unil you find someone you are comfortable with. I am looking for someone right now and I am VERY excited about the 10 hours I get. 

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    August 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

How do you know if you qualify?

Who do you contact?

• lasombrs
    August 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    We only get 6 hours a month and the give no help locating a person. You have to do it on your own. Near impossible for us to find someone but ds one on one aid left her position to go to grad school and now comes for 2 hours a week to see him and we pay her double what the respite pays us. We don't leave usually either but its good for him to still get to see her and get one on one time
  • SnortysMom
    August 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I asked my son's service coordinator. She was able to give me all the info. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

How do you know if you qualify?

Who do you contact?

• lasombrs
    August 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    That's how I felt. They is no training or qualifications for respite workers here. You could hire joe from the local tavern if you wanted. And only one of my kids qualify. But luckily ds teacher no longer works for the school and she comes to my home and I only have one kid to watch or sometimes she plays with both and I may get to watch a whole tv show on Netflix uninterrupted lol

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We don't use it.  Only 2 of my kids qualify so I would have to have the other two with me, that isn't really a break.  And of the 2 that qualify, we really don't trust anyone else to watch them due to their health and communication issues.  I have yet to find a respite provider really qualified with past experience to handle them.  Where we live, there is not really training, they just have basic computer tests they need to pass on things like their paperwork, ethics, CPR, etc.  Not really on disability/care issues at all.  I just don't trust someone else to watch them when they can't at all communicate or help themselves.  So I'm tired and exhausted all the time, and partially my fault.  but the anxiety that comes with leaving them with someone isn't relaxing either.  The only person I trust is their teacher and my parents.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN