Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Mammow40
A question about my grandson
June 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM
http://m.pnas.org/content/95/23/13982.full

My name is Stephanie and I have a daughter who is 20 & a son who is 17. My daughter gave birth to my first grandbaby a boy jan 7. He will b 6 months old July 7. His left ear is slightly smaller than the right side. He is happy, alert, laughing baby. However since he's doing more we notice he does more with his right hand. If u put something. By his left hand he will reach for it but slower. Also he's learning 2 sit and will for a few seconds but he always falls 2 the left. Like straight over doesnt know how 2 balance himself. He doesn't fall 2 the right side. And finally he tries 2 crawl but he pushes up on his feet and pushes his butt up in the air and scoots and doesn't use his arm. The reason I'm here is because of the article I linked above. I was researching babies who use one side more than the other so I was wondering if your children with autism acted like those in the article? did u notice things early on that when u look back, u thought o i see it now? my daughter is taking him 2 the dr on the 16th and will b bringing up how he's acting. If he does have autism our family will b right behind him and do everything that he needs done. I just never heard that movement was associated with autism, I always thought it had 2 do with social interacting and language. Thank you.

Replies

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    June 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I never noticed anything like that with my son.  I think it might be smart to have your grandson evaluated to make sure that something else isn't going on.

• emarin77
    June 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Some kids with Autism have mobility disorders.  These disorders need to be diagnosed by a neurologist.

• Mammow40
    June 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    Thank you so much. I will tell my daughter to make sure the dr doesn't brush things aside. I know some drs are more proactive then others.
  • kajira
    by kajira
    June 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM

A lot of muscle disorders, or mobility disorders can go hand in hand with learning disabilities, or other things. I wouldn't panic about autism just yet. 

Does he babble? does he engage with you? Does he look for the people who care for him most when they leave the room? Does he seem to want his mom? does he try to make eye contact wtih you and look at your face?

I wouldn't worry about autism at this age. Focus on the mobility issues first, and see what develops. He may very well be socially normal, even if he's got some motor issues.

• Mammow40
    June 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    He is very alert and has 2 know everything going on. He lights up when ppl come in the room and he definitely knows when his mom comes or goes. He babbles n makes noise.

Neuro seems like what mite b going on. It's slight but we notice it, so hopefully it's just where he's still learning. But we r defeintly going 2 be proactive.
  • Eve-marie
    June 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The paediatrician will most likely refer him to a neurologist. My son didn't have any motor issues, although some autistic kids do. Your grand baby might have a neurological issue. Also the ears are linked to our balance so that might be the source of the problem. Hope everything goes well.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    June 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Babies should be using both sides equally and it's a big red flag if they aren't. At this age it has nothing to do with being right or left handed.

I work for a program that visits families with babies and I had a little boy like that. His parents were sure he was just left handed cause he used it more often. I really pushed them to ask their dr and as it turned out, he had a stroke when he was in utero! And they had no idea.

Please get it checked and get a new dr if the first one brushes you off.
  • darbyakeep45
    June 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Welcome!  THese ladies have some wonderful ideas:)  Good luck!

• Mammow40
    June 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. That is scary about the baby who had a stroke in utereo. My daughter had a great pregnancy but a week b4 she gave birth she swelled up and her Bp went high. However she stayed in the hospital For a week. She delivered at 37 weeks 3 days. I assumed just like u were saying that he is gonna b using his right hand n just showing his preference early.
  • Charizma77
    June 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I agree

Quoting amonkeymom:

I never noticed anything like that with my son.  I think it might be smart to have your grandson evaluated to make sure that something else isn't going on.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum