Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
curly110024
Made me cry
June 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

A few days ago I was shopping at the mall when I overheard three teenagers ( probably 15 yrs old) talking about a special needs classmate.

Boy: I cannot believe he is in our class

Girl: you are mean

Boy: I think that retards do not deserve to live... they are so annoying man

Girl: (giggling) OMG you did not just say that

I was passing by them with my kids in the stroller...I was so shocked that I could not say a word and tears shot into my eyes.

Oh my god, I am still shocked and I am scared that my son will be bullied badly in school. He is still 4 but still, these bulling kids are not under control and have a damaging effect on our kids.

Replies

• mypbandj
    Jen
    June 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    I hate bullies yet they are everywhere!! You have to wonder what happened to that kid to make him have that attitude. Not that it's an excuse but he probably doesn't have the greatest home life.
  • ineedcoffeemom
    June 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Being a child with special needs probably puts a larger target on your back, but kids are bullied over anything. I was brutally bullied in middle school for being overweight to the point that my parents moved me to another school district because I cried every single day and didn't have a single friend.

You need to make sure your children know they are loved and more importantly that they DESERVE to be loved and respected. Help them to love themselves any way you can so that when others try to knock them down they'll know the bullies are the ones with the problem, not them.

• blessedhappymom
    June 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    I agree. Kids will pick on other kids about anything. Its sad to see how harsh young kids can be.

But i to was picked on in elementary for being overweight.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Being a child with special needs probably puts a larger target on your back, but kids are bullied over anything. I was brutally bullied in middle school for being overweight to the point that my parents moved me to another school district because I cried every single day and didn't have a single friend.

You need to make sure your children know they are loved and more importantly that they DESERVE to be loved and respected. Help them to love themselves any way you can so that when others try to knock them down they'll know the bullies are the ones with the problem, not them.

• darbyakeep45
    June 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Wow...I'm sorry you heard that mama!  How horrible...I would have cried too.

• Charizma77
    June 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM

That is awful..makes me sad when I think about the kinds of things my kids will hear :(

• TheJerseyGirl
    June 29, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Kids can sound so stupid...wait until they grow up or have a special needs child of their own...let's see how ignorant they sound then.

• Ajisai43
    June 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM

It is horrible what idiotic things teens and younger kids can say (even some adults, for that matter!).  Your son is young still and he will change and grow so much there is no telling how he will turn out! I would try not to worry about bullying now, but more be aware of the kids he hangs around as he grows older and how his school life is.  In my son's school the special ed teachers will get in anyone's face if there is anything even resembling bullying or even teasing going on with the kids in class.  There are a lot of folks out there on our children's sides, so keep that in mind rather than worrying about anything that hasn't happened.

Try not to let ignorant people ruin your day and feel free to come here for support when you need it! :)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN