Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
Im so not surprised by this!
June 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Study: A Third of Autistic Children Also Have ADHD

Autism and ADHD may have a "genetic overlap"

June 5, 2013 RSS Feed Print
One in every three children with autism show symptoms of ADHD as well.

One in every three children with autism show symptoms of ADHD as well.

About a third of children who have autism also have symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, according to a study released Wednesday.

[HEALTH: What You Need to Know About Autism]

According to researchers at the Baltimore-based Kennedy Krieger Institute, which studies autism, the two disorders may be somehow linked.

"We are increasingly seeing that these two disorders co-occur and a greater understanding of how they relate to each other could ultimately improve outcomes and quality of life for this subset of children," Rebecca Landa, author of the study, said in a statement. The study was published in Autism: The International Journal and Practice.

Experts have long thought the two disorders might be linked, but previous studies have looked at patients who were already exhibiting symptoms of at least one of the disorders, leading to a potential selection bias. Landa's study followed 162 infants and toddlers before they were diagnosed through their eighth birthday. Of the 63 children who were diagnosed with autism, 18 (29 percent) also had "clinically significant" symptoms of ADHD.

A previous study published in 2011 suggested that there may be some "genetic overlap" between genes that cause both ADHD and autism.

[READ: Study Finds Autism Has Strong Genetic Link in Mice]

Though the disorders are seemingly linked, the American Psychiatric Association's recent revisions to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - a sort of bibl

Replies

• maciymommieof3
    June 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Im 2 for 2 in this category

• Charizma77
    June 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Ashton doesn't have ADHD, at least not that we know of.

• maciymommieof3
    June 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Charizma77:

Ashton doesn't have ADHD, at least not that we know of.

thats good

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    June 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I guess my son is in the third category. He has both. I have adhd, his dad has aspergers.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    June 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    My son has adhd and aspergers. My other son shows signs of both. In fact, dh does too !!
  • mariat2
    by mariat2
    June 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    My son has ASD and ADHD.I believe my husband is adhd and my father has aspergers
  • kajira
    by kajira
    June 28, 2013 at 1:25 AM

my son does not have ADD and neither do I. ;o

• darbyakeep45
    June 28, 2013 at 6:44 AM

No ADD or ADHD for my son.

• girl_incognito
    June 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM

The reason is both people with ADHD and Autism have weak executive functioning in the brain, some people with autism have it more than others... I am an adult with autism with no adhd symptoms, but my son however has the ADHD diagnosis. It's just a label to explain some more difficulties... not exactly a seperate disorder.

• letstalk747
    June 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

i really believe its way higher than  a third

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts