Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Cafe Steph
What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?
June 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

Replies

• Momof4AEMW
    June 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I don't care if a typical parent ever understands the stress and business of my day, the medical complications, and long term responsibilities that come with it.  What i think they should understand is my kids are more like theirs than they are different.  And even if mine do things differently or on their own time line developmentally, they are not an inadequate person because of it.  SN kids want love, fun, support, safely, etc just like any other child.  And they want to be treated with the same fairness and equality that they would want for their child.  They would not appreciate if I made fun of their child, why make fun of mine?

• CEF1980
    by CEF1980
    June 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM

That it's not just bad behavior. I feel like this is a day to day struggle. 

• kajira
    by kajira
    June 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    No. I would wish for more acceptance for being "different" though with out treating people, or children, like social lepers.
  • JTMOM422
    June 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

That are days aren't filled with total meltdowns and screaming fits. That our kids can accomplish so much. That they may not do it the way another child does but that is fine. I love my child for who he is 

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    June 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Amen!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I don't care if a typical parent ever understands the stress and business of my day, the medical complications, and long term responsibilities that come with it.  What i think they should understand is my kids are more like theirs than they are different.  And even if mine do things differently or on their own time line developmentally, they are not an inadequate person because of it.  SN kids want love, fun, support, safely, etc just like any other child.  And they want to be treated with the same fairness and equality that they would want for their child.  They would not appreciate if I made fun of their child, why make fun of mine?

• 3chicksfarmmom
    June 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM

That my daughter makes me appreciate all little accomplishments.  I take nothing for granted and admire her abilities!  What a blessing.

• Bobcatridge
    June 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My daughter has poor social skills - we are really working on this.  The kids not only ostracize my daughter but the parents will have little to do with me.  It is like they run the other way.  I understand my daughter has problems but a little effort to talk to me would be nice. Just say hi once in while - my daughter is not contagious and neither am I.

• kay1214
    by kay1214
    June 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That when they start complaining about their teenager always wanting money so they can go to the mall or hang out with their friends I on a date date or use the car all the time for many of the same reasons.  Or " I can't wit til he's grown up and goes to college or gets a job and has a family of his own"...

Don't complain to me about all the "normal" teen stuff you're going through. Have some compassion for what's going on inside me, the heartache I feel knowing those things will probably not be a part of my memories of my son.

• SnowWhieQueen
    June 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

that my boys are not bad....im so sick of people saying i dont know how to discipline them...or tell me i dont know how to be a parent because my 6 yr olds not potty trained....i have 4 other kids they all use the potty just fine..

• SAMI_JO
    by SAMI_JO
    June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Don't give advice unless we ask for it. Walk 24 hours in our shoes, they'll be thankful for what they have forever!

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum