Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
thesmiths6
To What Lengths?
June 18, 2013 at 4:12 AM

To what lengths would you go to in order to help your non-verbal autistic child have friends?

For many years we lived like introverts? We didn't associate with mainstream America because we couldn't predict how our pre-puberty son would act around girls. He would do things like blank staremasturbate in the pool if he saw a "cute" girl. He would sometimes lie on his back anywhere in public if he saw a girl and attempt to pull her over on top of him. It got so bad that we just started staying at home.

We didn't go to church, YMCA, movies, outdoor activities, we soon removed him from public school.And began teaching him at home (difficult!). Holidays soon took on new meaning for us. It was an opportunity to hide and rest. Before long we had seperated ourselves from the world; family, friends, therapists, everyone.

The only friends that my children had were those kids who imported to be their friends.  We recieved much criticism about our choice to import friends for our kids. Now they are all grown up and we (my husband and I are seriously considering importing him some new friends from a third world country.

To what lengths would you go to make your autistic childs life better?

Replies

• Mommyandliam
    June 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    Wow! This worries me! I've started by putting my son in head start but this sounds so scary :(
  • darbyakeep45
    June 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Wow.  My son doesn't really care for other children right now...he's almost 5.  

• Momof4AEMW
    June 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

What and how do you import friends for your kids?  Is that like adopting?  I don't get it.

it sounds like in holing up at home you have let therapy go?  What about ABA therapy to work on the behaviors so he can learn to be in public appropriately?  or maybe an all male play group with other special needs children where parents would be understanding?  Most cities have ASD support groups

I don't discount the difficulties you are having, that sounds hard.  But I think a professional could better help in this situation

• JTMOM422
    June 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I have never heard of importing friends. I wouldn't even know how to go about this. I would think that you could go through a therapist to work on his behaviors or even speak with a doc about medication for his behaviors. 

• TheJerseyGirl
    June 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    We were thinking of moving to a neighborhood with kids but are still in the same spot.
  • thesmiths6
    June 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the great posts! I'll keep fasting and praying and trusting God for a miracle breakthru for my son.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts