Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
JustBEace
Is he or isn't he....
March 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I'm the mom of two wonderful kids. My son is 10. My daughter is 6. My son had ADHD and had been to a child psychologist who said he had "autistic tendencies." (Which I feel he is on the spectrum). I'm currently trying to get my son in with a neuropsychologist to find out of he is in fact on the Autism Spectrum. I do understand what tendencies are and that doctors don't want to misdiagnose. But really?... Does or has anyone else had this happen? If so, are there any key questions I should ask to get a more definitive answer from the doctor(s)?

Replies

• unusualmom
    March 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

What is a knodencies?

• JustBEace
    March 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    LOL! I didn't realize I had deleted half of the last title.

Quoting unusualmom:

What is a knodencies?

• JTMOM422
    March 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Sorry to hear that is the answer you got. When we had dx he showed alot of the tendencies but not all of them. So the doctor gave him a dx of PDD-NOS. We were able to get my son into much needed therapies with that dx. Hugs momma. Hope you get your answers soon

• unusualmom
    March 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Haha... I was like -what???
    Quoting JustBEace:

LOL! I didn't realize I had deleted half of the last title.

Quoting unusualmom:

What is a knodencies?

• JustBEace
    March 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Thank you. I hope we do too. It's hard too b/c my parents can tell something else is going on besides adhd. (So can my older sister and my cousin who's kids are also on the spectrum. One struggles and the other excels). My in laws think he's just being a boy when there are obvious signs that something is going on. It took my husband a good while to notice, but he too notices it's not just adhd. It's ironic b/c my husband said for the longest time, " I think you just want there to be something else wrong with him." No parent wants or wishes for something top be wrong with their child.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Sorry to hear that is the answer you got. When we had dx he showed alot of the tendencies but not all of them. So the doctor gave him a dx of PDD-NOS. We were able to get my son into much needed therapies with that dx. Hugs momma. Hope you get your answers soon

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    March 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Its good to have answers but sometimes its even hard for the professionals....

either way, the "treatment" at that age is pretty similar: social skills group, OT, medication.

Many aspies take adhd meds that help them out, etc. Hope you get the answers and help your son needs mom. Hugs.

• bugsmama149
    March 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My son was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The pediatrician may see autistic tendencies but they will not diagnose it. You have to be seen by a doctor who specializes in autism or other related issues. It's not that the pediatrician can or can't tell for sure, it's that when you have your child evaluated for autism, there a specific tests they perform that pediatricians aren't trained to do.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    March 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Omg I think we're the same person! LOL

My husband says the same thing! I think you want him to be autistic.

No. No I don't. I want to catch it early and help him so that it doesn't become a life long struggle! It's called early intervention!!!

Ok, so I have 3 kids. The two year old has some questionable behavior. It's not severe but it's there.

My 15 yr old acted similar only I didn't start paying attention till he was almost five. I just attributed it to him being little. We took him to an autism clinic at a well known university and after a day of testing they said he was not autistic. But he had so many if the symptoms!! Yes, he's very high functioning but when you go down the checklist, he had everything!

The one thing that I felt everyone overlooked was his language. They were always telling me it was fine but I knew it was not. He could ask for a pencil. He could ask to use the bathroom. But he couldn't tell you how he got a three inch gash on his neck. He couldn't tell you what the teacher said. He couldn't tell you what he read. He didnt have that standard back and forth chit chat (hi. How are you? Good. How are you. Fine. Good). Kids and adults would see him and call out to him and he wouldn't respond. He appeared rude. But he just didnt know how to respond.

After I pitched a fit at the school, they tested his pragmatic language and he scored in the 2nd percentile. (Can you say, I told you so)?

Several months later, someone from the autism clinic called me for a follow up. How was he? Did I find their clinic helpful?

The answer was NO. they gave me no help. No answers. They said he doesn't have a ASD yet they agreed he had the tendencies. And they told me to just treat the symptoms as if it were ASD. But they wouldn't diagnose it as ASD.

The person on the phone referred me to a neuropsychologist and I agreed to go. The actual dr probably had ASD himself, he was pretty rude. But my son went through 2 days if testing. This dr told me it was aspergers and ADHD. He said that the attention test they gave him couldn't even be scored because my son didnt even have the attention span to finish it. LOL

So, I'm not so happy and grateful that my son has aspergers. Not at all! I've cried for him many times, wishing he could just be NT. But I am grateful for the diagnosis. Grateful for the services and help its given him. Being able to say "he has aspergers" was like the magic key that opened many doors for him.

So now that I am seeing signs in my two year old, I am praying that he can get some help too. And I'm hoping that with earlier intervention that he will make big strides. I don't want him to be autistic. I just want him to be the best he can be.

Quoting JustBEace:

Thank you. I hope we do too. It's hard too b/c my parents can tell something else is going on besides adhd. (So can my older sister and my cousin who's kids are also on the spectrum. One struggles and the other excels). My in laws think he's just being a boy when there are obvious signs that something is going on. It took my husband a good while to notice, but he too notices it's not just adhd. It's ironic b/c my husband said for the longest time, " I think you just want there to be something else wrong with him." No parent wants or wishes for something top be wrong with their child.

Quoting JTMOM422:

• darbyakeep45
    March 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Hugs mama!  Good luck:)

• emarin77
    March 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Sometimes, children are diagnosed with ADHD where they really have some form of Autism.  That is why it is very importent for children to be diagnosed by psychologists, not medical doctors, from my experience.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts