Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

VioletsMomTown
Autism As An Intention Deficit Disorder (Floortime Therapy)
February 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I've been doing DIR/Floortime therapy with Violet for about a year and a half now. I always found it so different from what I hear other parents doing for their kids therapies, and its very much reliant on the parents participation, rather than a therapist. Apparently that is what was mandated for standard therapy in Ontario several years back, and you'd be hard pressed not to find a speech or behavioral therapist here who hasn't been trained in Floortime. Even our speech therapy is done based on the Hanen system, which is also parent directed, which works hand in hand with Floortime. (I guess they really want us to do our own therapy, I get it now! lol.)

The main idea is getting down on the floor (literally) and playing and interacting with your child, to get into their world. It has quite a bit of sensory therapy intertwined with it, like practicing words while on a swing or a ball, whatever sensory input your child craves. It also works on the premise that every unusual action, behavior or sound your child makes has a purpose, and parents mirror the purpose back to the child, to establish a connection between action and intent, which in turn creates a better sense of self, and opens the doors to meaningful thought.

If anyone is interested, there is an interesting pdf article written about the fundamentals of creator, Stanley Greenspan's theories about what Floortime is, and why it is so different from traditional therapies.

(Autism As An Intention Deficit Disorder .pdf download)

Replies

• KatyTylersMom
    February 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I really like everything I've heard and read about Floortime except that it's me that has to somehow find the time to do it!  With two kiddos on the spectrum and 15+ hours of therapies a week plus naps and plus now 12 hours of preschool for my oldest, I can probably find about an hour a day where I don't have to be doing something else.  And maybe that's enough but damn I just want to sit on the couch and veg during that hour! 

• VioletsMomTown
    February 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I hear that! Agreed. We have been using Floortime at school, Violet's aide is being trained in it, and even though she's a 50 something woman, she is getting down on the floor with Violet and playing. They have a special room to do it, otherwise all the other kids in her class might expect the other teachers to do it too. Violet's speech therapist uses it too. We also try to just work it into our daily routine at home, so that its not so strict, it just becomes like a lifestyle after a while, and everything becomes a learning opportunity. Luckily having my own business allows me to work by appointment, and just go in a few hours a day, so I do have more "free" time than most.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I really like everything I've heard and read about Floortime except that it's me that has to somehow find the time to do it!  With two kiddos on the spectrum and 15+ hours of therapies a week plus naps and plus now 12 hours of preschool for my oldest, I can probably find about an hour a day where I don't have to be doing something else.  And maybe that's enough but damn I just want to sit on the couch and veg during that hour! 

• darbyakeep45
    February 6, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I agree with the post above...my son is in 5 different therapies as well as school plus meds, g-tube feeds, and treatments at home...it would be hard for me to find that time too!

• mypbandj
    Jen
    February 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Thanks for sharing that info! I'm going to look further into it. I've heard the term but really didnt understand what it was.

I work as a home visitor for families with kids birth to three. The purpose of our program is to support the parent as the child's first and best teacher. And we emphasize how play is important to learning, the more play a child does = the more a child learns and when a parent plays with their child, the child plays MORE! So it's all related.
    Even EI in our state is doing the Coaching model and I don't really get that concept fully yet. I know the point is to basically coach the parent to be the child's main therapist so they are getting therapy all week long and not just for the 45 minutes that the therapist is there.
  • VioletsMomTown
    February 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

That must be tough. I know its hard to find the time. Fortunately (or unfortunately,  :\ ) we don't have any other therapies to fit into our schedule, other than one hour of speech a week for 3 months on, 3 months off. They want us to do the therapies ourselves here in Ontario. Even when the ABA starts, it will only be 2-4 hours a week, so its pretty much all up to me. I just do the best I can. I'm sure it helps, but I have honestly seen much greater progress from all the dietary changes and vitamins. Its not really like hard work when its just playing too.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree with the post above...my son is in 5 different therapies as well as school plus meds, g-tube feeds, and treatments at home...it would be hard for me to find that time too!

• VioletsMomTown
    February 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM

That's great, so you have a great background to be able to help your son then! Lucky boy. I'm glad you found that interesting. The Hanen centre puts out this wonderful book called "More Than Words" which has been so helpful too, it puts simple scenarios of behaviors into little cartoons to demonstrate how to react in certain situations. Its a great resource, maybe you could get your work to order a copy!

Quoting mypbandj:

Thanks for sharing that info! I'm going to look further into it. I've heard the term but really didnt understand what it was.

I work as a home visitor for families with kids birth to three. The purpose of our program is to support the parent as the child's first and best teacher. And we emphasize how play is important to learning, the more play a child does = the more a child learns and when a parent plays with their child, the child plays MORE! So it's all related.
    Even EI in our state is doing the Coaching model and I don't really get that concept fully yet. I know the point is to basically coach the parent to be the child's main therapist so they are getting therapy all week long and not just for the 45 minutes that the therapist is there.

• darbyakeep45
    February 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I totally see where you're coming from.  I've heard SUCH wonderful things about diet changes and vitamins for Autistic children.  Unfortunately I don't have that option with my son...the diet part.  He has Cystic Fibrosis which is a genetic disease where mucus builds up in his lungs and digestive system.  It's terminal with an average life expectancy of 37 years old.  He is pancreatic insufficient so he doesn't digest his food the way we do.  He needs a high calorie/high fat diet to grow.  He is 4 years old but the size of an 18 month-2 year old.  He does eat baby food and is fed through his g-tube for the rest of it.  He gets a lot of different vitamins as well.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

That must be tough. I know its hard to find the time. Fortunately (or unfortunately,  :\ ) we don't have any other therapies to fit into our schedule, other than one hour of speech a week for 3 months on, 3 months off. They want us to do the therapies ourselves here in Ontario. Even when the ABA starts, it will only be 2-4 hours a week, so its pretty much all up to me. I just do the best I can. I'm sure it helps, but I have honestly seen much greater progress from all the dietary changes and vitamins. Its not really like hard work when its just playing too.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

• mypbandj
    Jen
    February 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into it.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

That's great, so you have a great background to be able to help your son then! Lucky boy. I'm glad you found that interesting. The Hanen centre puts out this wonderful book called "More Than Words" which has been so helpful too, it puts simple scenarios of behaviors into little cartoons to demonstrate how to react in certain situations. Its a great resource, maybe you could get your work to order a copy!

Quoting mypbandj:

• VioletsMomTown
    February 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Aww, poor little sweetie. Its not fair when little ones have to deal with so much. My heart goes out to you. xo

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I totally see where you're coming from.  I've heard SUCH wonderful things about diet changes and vitamins for Autistic children.  Unfortunately I don't have that option with my son...the diet part.  He has Cystic Fibrosis which is a genetic disease where mucus builds up in his lungs and digestive system.  It's terminal with an average life expectancy of 37 years old.  He is pancreatic insufficient so he doesn't digest his food the way we do.  He needs a high calorie/high fat diet to grow.  He is 4 years old but the size of an 18 month-2 year old.  He does eat baby food and is fed through his g-tube for the rest of it.  He gets a lot of different vitamins as well.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

• weirdkids
    February 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM

sounds alot like how my sons therapists work with him. kinda funny. at first dh was like "really? all they do is come over to play with him. hell i can do that" lol it works though. now when i take him out, he applies what he learned. (btw sheep DO NOT like it when a little person "bahhhh" at them very loudly while trying to push their belly lol)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum