Kat31
Autism Speaks
by Kat31
January 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Do you support Autism Speaks?

Replies

• drpatriot
    January 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Do NOT support them. Any card carrying autsitc person like myself will emphatically say they do not speak for them. They are only in it for the money and to find a cure. There is NO autistic individuals on their board of directors what so ever. A better routes Autism Society which looks at all aspects of an autistic person life.

• lady_katie
    January 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I don't like autism speaks, but as a parent, it's difficult to refrain from taking advantage of some of the resources that they offer. Especially when there are so few available. 

• Bluerose1482
    January 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me (or my child), and it doesn't reflect our opinion of my son's Asperger's.

However, I believe that there may be several conditions that exhibit autistic like behaviors.  Some of those conditions could be cureable.  I have no problem with them looking for a cure for people who feel like something else is going on and desire a cure.

As far my Aspie....He's not ill.  His brain wired is a little different than other people.  That's ok.  He has a right to be the person he is.  I would personally find any discussion of a 'cure' for him offensive. 

• Hottubgodess
    January 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I use them for info, and think they can do a lot to get congress to finally push to look into causes of autism.  I think they do bring a face of parents of autistic kids to the forefront.  Do I believe there is a cure?  the Aspie in me says we dont need to be cured...we need to be understood.

• terri-553
    January 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My daughter/I both go to the Austism Walk,It is where we find people close enough to help in our region,do we support them like huge donations every year.Nope not happening,I mean we buy pens,backpacks,bracelets from venders at the walk,but otherwise not even

• MomOfOneCoolKid
    January 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I personally love autismspeaks. They are the biggest most effective organization out there for autism.

They want to create a big tent for all voices, but some voices in the autism community really are very divided against each other. I see them as a middle of the road organization. I don't know which is left and which is right, but as I see it, on one end of the autism debate is the "neurodiversity" movement, in the middle is the treatment/accomodations/clinical/broad-based scientific community (ABA, floortime, medications, therapies, etc.), and on the other end is the biomedical intervention side (DAN docs, TACA, etc.)

Without autismspeaks, i don't think my child would have recieved the help that he so desperately needs. I don't think many people would even know the word "autism." Their presence and value is un-quantifiable. Its HUGE.

Without them the insurance mandates in the states wouldn't exist. Without them the provisions for mental health services would not exist in the current healthcare law. Without them, this world for my son would be very bleak.

• TheLadyAmalthea
    January 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I do not.

• blessedhappymom
    January 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Well said

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I personally love autismspeaks. They are the biggest most effective organization out there for autism.

They want to create a big tent for all voices, but some voices in the autism community really are very divided against each other. I see them as a middle of the road organization. I don't know which is left and which is right, but as I see it, on one end of the autism debate is the "neurodiversity" movement, in the middle is the treatment/accomodations/clinical/broad-based scientific community (ABA, floortime, medications, therapies, etc.), and on the other end is the biomedical intervention side (DAN docs, TACA, etc.)

Without autismspeaks, i don't think my child would have recieved the help that he so desperately needs. I don't think many people would even know the word "autism." Their presence and value is un-quantifiable. Its HUGE.

Without them the insurance mandates in the states wouldn't exist. Without them the provisions for mental health services would not exist in the current healthcare law. Without them, this world for my son would be very bleak.

• VioletsMomTown
    January 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I wouldn't fundraise for them, because they have raked in millions in donations and chose to put it into genetic research (which has turned up nothing), instead of research which will help our children now. They get all the press when other organizations who do great work are struggling..

But on the other side of the coin, I think every autism organization has something to offer, and I have looked up a few things on their website. They do get autism out into the public eye more. I just wish some of the millions they make fundraising was given back to families who really need it, or spent on biomedical research. I can't see where genetic research is going to help, unless we are going to genetically engineer our children in the future, it makes more sense to deal with the situation we already have, I think. I'd be much more likely to donate to the Autism Research Institute, or Autism Canada, personally.

• JTMOM422
    January 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think they offer information in a way a parent can understand.  They are a good resource for finding doctors and therapists in your area.  I don't support them financially although I would not rule that out. 

I choose to believe that they are fighting for the greater good of people with ASD. I do wish though they would put people with ASD on their board to give a voice that many don't hear. 

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum