Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
VioletsMomTown
Study Finds Up To 50% Can Lose Autism Diagnosis
January 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

So a study was done following some children with autism. It was found that 1-20% lost diagnosis, and when early intervention and intense behavioral therapy was done, up to 40-50% of kids could lose diagnosis. Some social symptoms are thought to remain, but they would no longer be considered on the spectrum.

This is a link to the scientific article (link)

Here is a link to a video about this that was on the news today (link)

Replies

• Jadnorton
    January 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    I can believe it. My sons will probably be gone next year.
  • VioletsMomTown
    January 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That's great! What have you done to get him to that point?

Quoting Jadnorton:

• newmommy430
    January 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    I watched something about that on the local news. It isn't a unique study. There have been other studies that have said the same kind of thing.
  • trippyhippy
    January 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Makes sense. My son was considered to be severe at 3. By 6 he tested as moderate. Our hope is by high school he will be high functioning.
  • Jadnorton
    January 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    He was always listed as high functioning and we probably wouldn't of caught it if he didn't have a speech delay (the doctors now believe the speech delay was a separate heredatiy issue not related to autism since he talks like an aspie). We follow the teacch method. I didn't have many outside therapist besides speech and some OT. The therapist showed my husband and I what to do and we did it a lot. We also followed our gut. We had two major improvement jumps. The first we went corn, soy free (our youngest is severally allergic and I didn't think it would impact my asd child but speech and behavior drastically improved). The next was when we started using melotonin. Amazing what sleep can do. He is in regular pre-k along with special Ed pre-k but goes on different days and we don't push. When things got to difficult for him, regardless of what it is, we pulled back and tried again later.

I do want to make it clear. I believe he still has Autism. I do not believe in any shape, manor, or way that I "cured" him of Autism. His mind still thinks differently than most. He looks at the world different. He might lose his diagnoses but he still has Autism just like he has blue eyes. It is a part of him and I would not be surprised if new issues arise and we once again fall under the diagnoses. And either way is ok with me.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting Jadnorton:

• VioletsMomTown
    January 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I also found changing certain things with diet improved things quickly with my daughter :)  They do mention what you said in the study, that certain characteristics remain, but that they would no longer be diagnosed with autism in the classic sense of how they diagnose it. Of course we wouldn't want to take away their uniqueness, variety is the spice of life!

Quoting Jadnorton:

He was always listed as high functioning and we probably wouldn't of caught it if he didn't have a speech delay (the doctors now believe the speech delay was a separate heredatiy issue not related to autism since he talks like an aspie). We follow the teacch method. I didn't have many outside therapist besides speech and some OT. The therapist showed my husband and I what to do and we did it a lot. We also followed our gut. We had two major improvement jumps. The first we went corn, soy free (our youngest is severally allergic and I didn't think it would impact my asd child but speech and behavior drastically improved). The next was when we started using melotonin. Amazing what sleep can do. He is in regular pre-k along with special Ed pre-k but goes on different days and we don't push. When things got to difficult for him, regardless of what it is, we pulled back and tried again later.

I do want to make it clear. I believe he still has Autism. I do not believe in any shape, manor, or way that I "cured" him of Autism. His mind still thinks differently than most. He looks at the world different. He might lose his diagnoses but he still has Autism just like he has blue eyes. It is a part of him and I would not be surprised if new issues arise and we once again fall under the diagnoses. And either way is ok with me.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting Jadnorton:

• MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    January 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    I believe it. My son has shown major improvements in the past year. Not to say he can't regress tomorrow, but it's hopeful and I can see how it happens. That's kind if the point of therapy right? To get them functioning to be independent etc.... If ds could handle things on his own(school, work, living) I wouldntwanthim to still have the "severe" tagged on him.
  • VioletsMomTown
    January 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I have always had high hopes! I think some parents need to be reminded that there really is hope. This is up to 50% recovery, that's not even getting into how many of the other 50% improve greatly and function well in society, while still considered having autism. I just wish doctors and psychiatrists would give parents this optimistic view of autism when their kids are diagnosed.

Quoting MommyRJ:

I believe it. My son has shown major improvements in the past year. Not to say he can't regress tomorrow, but it's hopeful and I can see how it happens. That's kind if the point of therapy right? To get them functioning to be independent etc.... If ds could handle things on his own(school, work, living) I wouldntwanthim to still have the "severe" tagged on him.

• MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    January 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    I always hope my son can just have a life someday. Without me. That's all I want. Is for him to be Independent.

But I can say.... I hate hate hate hearing "cured", its not a disease or cancer, it doesn't just go away after therapy. He will have autism forever, but it's something (hopefully) he can live with

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I have always had high hopes! I think some parents need to be reminded that there really is hope. This is up to 50% recovery, that's not even getting into how many of the other 50% improve greatly and function well in society, while still considered having autism. I just wish doctors and psychiatrists would give parents this optimistic view of autism when their kids are diagnosed.

Quoting MommyRJ:

• KatyTylersMom
    January 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I think what bothers me most is the parents who say "well if the kid improved enough to lose their diagnosis, then they must not have had autism to begin with".  I mean all of our kids have gone through the rigorous testing processes to get the diagnosis, some of us do ABA, some do diet, some do supplements, some just do special ED classes.  But regardless we all work hard with our kids and should we should all be so lucky as to have a child that loses the diagnosis of ASD, or improves to a point where they can live a happy independent life with autism. 

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts