Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
weirdkids
my secret to preventing public meltdowns lol**eta**
January 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM

so playskool makes these cool fold & go play sets right? i love them i think they are great given they keep jake occupied when hes antsy. only issue is its really easy to snap the parts off (therefore with jake its a supervised toy) i plan on collecting all of the sets because they are small and fit in the back pack we use as his survival bag (when we go on outings the bag and its contents help control meltdowns and help him refocus) i cant wait to get more of them. we also have puzzles and his blanket in the bag so having something that folds up flat and fits with everything else is great. i honestly have his therapists to thank. they made me realize that while some toys are great free play toys, some need to be kept for special occations and supervised directed play. i plan on getting him some new sensory toys and developmental toys (he loves puzzles and to him even the lacing beads are puzzles) to add to his bag and to swap out to mix things up a bit. its a life saver on outtings. 

so anyone else have a "survival bag"? what are your go to toys? any suggestions?

** just to add in, my son is only 2 lol

Replies

• kaiser10123
    January 8, 2013 at 2:45 AM
    I have my sons iPad on stand by 24/7! When I feel like he's going to explode I whip that bad boy out and move faster if I'm running an errand lol
  • weirdkids
    January 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM

one of jakes therapists tried him with an ipad because they were all going to go in on it together and get him one for xmas (he has 3 awesome therapists) but he has zero interest lol even when you use a puzzle or matching app. nothing lol we tried crayons and paper but it didnt keep his attention long enough. im just glad he only draws on paper(except chalk. he wrote all over my tv with sidewalk chalk lol)

Quoting kaiser10123:

I have my sons iPad on stand by 24/7! When I feel like he's going to explode I whip that bad boy out and move faster if I'm running an errand lol

• JTMOM422
    January 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I keep a bag of blocks with letters and numbers on it in my purse some pieces of candy and bring along a large coffee mug with juice and straw for my son. I use the mug with the handle he can hang over the side of the shopping cart. He seems to like drinking then hanging it back on the cart. When he goes into meltdown mode usually I can pull out the blocks and he focuses on them. I am in the process of looking for things to carry with so would love some ideas

• Kellbel08
    January 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

hmm i like to switch it up depending on where we are goin. But usually our "survival bag" lol consists of Ari's blankey (can't go anywhere without that), her innotab, little figurines (like hello kitty, dora, thomas) she doesn't like to color so we bring a dry erase board instead, two differ books for her to look at, and the mp3 player (music always calms her) :) 

• charley31
    January 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    I have special toys for every situation. Ryan is only allowed to have his "pretty" which are just necklaces from the dollar store when i change his diaper. He's obsessed with horses so he gets a special bag of horses when we come back home from being out. I have a horse and necklace in his diaper bag as well. The horse is for emergency situations. When he is rammy and spinning himself around around i bring out the legos and we build towers together.he has a special blanket to get him to relax and watch elmo. The blanket has strings hanging off of it and he loves to twirl the strings between his fingers...seems to calm him. We still have major meltdowns but these things have helped a bit. He definitely enjoys routines.
  • weirdkids
    January 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

omg i know how the blanket thing goes lol guarenteed meltdown if he doesnt have one of them 24/7. he likes the microfiber fleece and only that lol he has about 8 of them all different designs. always have to have at least one of them. lol we had one night where he screamed for an hour and we couldnt figure out why. he had put all his blankets in our wardrobe (he likes to pull everything off the bottom shelf and climb in.) and we didnt notice and shut it. he couldnt get to them and was freaking out. finally figured it out and it was like instant silence lol it goes everywhere with us now. 

Quoting Kellbel08:

hmm i like to switch it up depending on where we are goin. But usually our "survival bag" lol consists of Ari's blankey (can't go anywhere without that), her innotab, little figurines (like hello kitty, dora, thomas) she doesn't like to color so we bring a dry erase board instead, two differ books for her to look at, and the mp3 player (music always calms her) :) 

• weirdkids
    January 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

outside of the house, major meltdowns can be calmed with his blanket and a puzzle. inside the house its phineus and ferb, his blanket and his sippy. oh man if hes in a crappy mood.... its non stop phineus and ferb and if you try to put anything else on its instant meltdown lol i just let him scream about it for 5 mins cuz i want to watch my shows sometimes too lol he usually gets over it quick then finds something else to do.

Quoting charley31:

I have special toys for every situation. Ryan is only allowed to have his "pretty" which are just necklaces from the dollar store when i change his diaper. He's obsessed with horses so he gets a special bag of horses when we come back home from being out. I have a horse and necklace in his diaper bag as well. The horse is for emergency situations. When he is rammy and spinning himself around around i bring out the legos and we build towers together.he has a special blanket to get him to relax and watch elmo. The blanket has strings hanging off of it and he loves to twirl the strings between his fingers...seems to calm him. We still have major meltdowns but these things have helped a bit. He definitely enjoys routines.

• Casper628
    January 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Lol!! I have had sidewalk chalk everywhere!!!! simply because wet cloth wipes it off, though now, my daughter is really good with markers and crayons, we normally have coloring books and crayons, flashcards (simple words, colors, shapes, numbers my little one loves them) a picture book, and we also carry lalaloopsys or carebears, though I'm sure that won't really help with SONS....I also normally have either goldfish, or crackers, fruit snacks, or cheese sticks of some kind.

I have heard great things about the ipad, but its so hard to explain directions to my little one, she doesn't seem to get it.

• weirdkids
    January 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

my son doesnt get the point of an ipad either lol he likes things he can actually hold in his hands and play with over anything on a screen. he will watch you play a game but if you hand it to him he looks at you like you are crazy and goes to get his truck lol

Quoting Casper628:

Lol!! I have had sidewalk chalk everywhere!!!! simply because wet cloth wipes it off, though now, my daughter is really good with markers and crayons, we normally have coloring books and crayons, flashcards (simple words, colors, shapes, numbers my little one loves them) a picture book, and we also carry lalaloopsys or carebears, though I'm sure that won't really help with SONS....I also normally have either goldfish, or crackers, fruit snacks, or cheese sticks of some kind.

I have heard great things about the ipad, but its so hard to explain directions to my little one, she doesn't seem to get it.

• Casper628
    January 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Thats exactly how my little one is, infact its been known to cause her to have breakdowns because she gets so into watching me do it!!  Now I have thought about getting her a kindle fire, because of Netflix, and books, I think she would love that, and I could use it too.

Quoting weirdkids:

my son doesnt get the point of an ipad either lol he likes things he can actually hold in his hands and play with over anything on a screen. he will watch you play a game but if you hand it to him he looks at you like you are crazy and goes to get his truck lol

Quoting Casper628:

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN