Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

montessorimom77
Not eating much losing weight
December 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My 4 year old is not eating. If she does not like what is served she just will not eat. Foods that she used to eat now she doesn't. All she wants to eat is chips, crackers, cookies. She is even picky about certain ones of those. She is not gaining weight. I do not feed her between meals but she climbs and digs around sometimes until she finds something. Should I give in and feed her what she wants or continue to offer more healthy choices and hide the snacks. She will go hungry rather than eat. She also eats non foods like crayons, paper, pencil tips and frozen foods like frozen bread, frozen dough, frozen toaster strudels etc... 

Replies

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    December 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Don't buy the snacks, or at least don't keep them in the house, especially if she'll search them out.  Keep reminding her that non-food items do not go in the mouth and that she needs to eat healthy so she can be strong & healthy.

• montessorimom77
    December 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I been doing the reminding for 2 years. All the snack foods are in locked cabinets or on top of the cabinets (by the xeiling) but somehow she always finds a way to climb, break a lock, or squeeze here hands through and pull something out. We had something's in the garage and she would break the lock to get in there. 

• VioletsMomTown
    December 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Those foods are all gluten and sugar, she is addicted. Gluten has an opiate response in some kids, thats why when you take it away from them, they will go through withdrawl. Like getting drugs out of the system, it will take time to get through it, and feel healthy and eat properly again. It took my daughter a week of protesting and not eating when we removed gluten and dairy. You need to go cold turkey, and try to remove it from the house altogether. You will see a good change though, as if the fog has been lifted. Offer almond milk smoothies in the adjustment period, with juiced fruit and veg in it, maybe some vitamins too, no dairy though. You simply must get her on a better diet, there are no nutrients to feed the brain or body!  Here is a link (link)

• binz322
    by binz322
    December 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Sounds like sensory issues. Especially with the frozen stuff. My son prefers to eat his peas and beans frozen! OT said its sensory. She is working with him. Our service coordinator also just recommended a nutritional Psychologist that we will pursue after the holidays. My son has now weighs a lb less then he did at his 18m appt. He is 27 months old. My son also likes crackers and crunchy foods. I would talk to an OT who specializes in sensory processing disorder. There are things they can do to help :)  Good luck!

• montessorimom77
    December 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Yes it's sensory. We don't have a clear cut diagnosis for her yet but she has sensory delays, speech delays, attention delays. My ped. Has just suggested recently that he believes she's on the spectrum. We have gotten her evaluated last year but with no diagnosis. We have an appointment next month. Hoping to get ,ore answers and start therapies.

• montessorimom77
    December 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Those foods are all gluten and sugar, she is addicted. Gluten has an opiate response in some kids, thats why when you take it away from them, they will go through withdrawl. Like getting drugs out of the system, it will take time to get through it, and feel healthy and eat properly again. It took my daughter a week of protesting and not eating when we removed gluten and dairy. You need to go cold turkey, and try to remove it from the house altogether. You will see a good change though, as if the fog has been lifted. Offer almond milk smoothies in the adjustment period, with juiced fruit and veg in it, maybe some vitamins too, no dairy though. You simply must get her on a better diet, there are no nutrients to feed the brain or body!  Here is a link (link)

Wheat and dairy are some of her main sources of protein. She is an extremely picky eater. I have offered both almond and soy milk as an alternative  but she will not drink them. Like I said above Her meals I serve her are healthy well balance meals, she just doesn't eat them. I don't want her to starve so at least one thing on the plate is something she likes.  I have bought 2 different types of vitamins and I can't get her to eat them. I have tried crushing them in her drinks and she won't then drink the drinks :(

• VioletsMomTown
    December 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Soooo many kids with autism have self limited their diets to just wheat and dairy. This is part of the problem. I assure you if you didn't offer it, she would get over it. She knows now that if she doesn't eat the healthy stuff, then the other stuff will be offered eventually.

Its not easy for about a week, and then gets better. All I can say is its totally worth it, but you have to want to change because its a lot of work. Its made a world of difference to my daughter, and she used to only eat grilled cheese, goldfish crackers and cookies. Change is possible. I've been there.

Quoting montessorimom77:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Wheat and dairy are some of her main sources of protein. She is an extremely picky eater. I have offered both almond and soy milk as an alternative  but she will not drink them. Like I said above Her meals I serve her are healthy well balance meals, she just doesn't eat them. I don't want her to starve so at least one thing on the plate is something she likes.  I have bought 2 different types of vitamins and I can't get her to eat them. I have tried crushing them in her drinks and she won't then drink the drinks :(

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts