Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
bugsmama149
What are your child's fixations?
December 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My son (11) has been fixating on specific things for as long as I can remember. Usually his fixations last anywhere from a week to a month.  Right now it's scary movies, specifically the Johnny Depp movie "Secret Window". This is more of a thriller than a scary movie. It has nothing that would normally appeal to an 11 year old boy but Ryan just loves it. He watches it any time he gets a chance. Looks up stuff about it on the internet, reads about Johnny Depp and the other actors in it. He's been obsessing over this movie for about 2 weeks. Today he watched the old Scrooge with Alaister Sim. I love it....an 11 yr old boy who will watch an old black and white movie and actually enjoy it. Now he's digging thru his room finding all the copies of "A Christmas Carol" that we've bought him thru the years. And he just gave me an "instruction" that I'm supposed to hit a couple thrift stores tomorrow before work to find any and all issues of "A Christmas Carol" that they have. He'll most likely stay on the Christmas Carol kick until X-mas. After that, we'll see what's next! What kinds of things does your child fixate on? Does it bother you at all?

Replies

• kinshipcaremama
    December 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    My son tends to stick with his special interests for years. Since he was about 7or 8 his interest is WW2 fighter planes. This has expanded to include some history but a.anything to do with the Nazis is off limits! He can't stand to think about that part of the war.
    Before the planes he was obsessed with trains. That stage lasted from about age 2 to about 7 or so.
  • VioletsMomTown
    December 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

We go through phases too, usually for a month or two. Violet is stuck on The 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed song right now. She has found probably 20 versions of it on you tube and sings it all the time. It doesn't bother me though, I'm just happy she's happy, and using her words :)

• JSVDP
    by JSVDP
    December 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Minecraft....and it is driving me bonkers

• bugsmama149
    December 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Lol, hugs mama!! It can get on the nerves a bit. I mean, I love Johnny Depp and all but Jesus, I'm so sick of hearing his voice resonating through the house at 7 a.m. every day!

Quoting JSVDP:

Minecraft....and it is driving me bonkers

• ciread
    by ciread
    December 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Animals, always been animals, until recently.  Currently, it is everything related to puberty.  We've now bought everything a pre-teen girl could possibly need..not sure how to help her more than this right now.

• Lilbit0700
    December 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The wii and DS 3 DS and computer it has been Wriggles,Curious Geroge rocks and now SpongebOb,ALF and Beranstein and Smokey the bear and numbers. like what year a book was written in. Sonic and Mario.Football soccer.

• Mi_Chelly
    December 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    Long term: Star Wars, Transformers, fuzzy things (anything fuzzy, animals, cloths, blankets, pillows, towels), sound effects

Recent: Bleach (Anime), ok, Anime in general, minecraft (currently mobile, thinking of getting him the computer version), angry birds, Lego Ninjago, how to tame your dragon (toothless)
  • Raesreppilf
    December 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

For the past 2+ years it has mainly been transformers.  He can tell you everything about them and transforms his toys with ease.  Lately he has been on an Angry Birds and Spiderman kick.  Not sure how long these will last.

• puck4432
    December 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

My son:  Space for forever.  Legos, kinects, anything he can build.  Doctor Who but I blame myself for that.  Pokemon is the big one right now and it's making me nutsy-cuckoo.

My daughter:  Animals, soft things, littlest pet shop.  Doctor Who but again, I blame myself, and I encourage that one.  Getting obsessed with Pokemon because her brother is.  She seems to be more obsessed with Matt Smith (the 11th Doctor) than anyone else.  Hello Kitty.

• charley31
    December 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    My son is 2. Always elmo....ugh. Now horses not sure why but i got him a rocking horse for xmas.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts