Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

bugsmama149
What are your child's fixations?
December 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My son (11) has been fixating on specific things for as long as I can remember. Usually his fixations last anywhere from a week to a month.  Right now it's scary movies, specifically the Johnny Depp movie "Secret Window". This is more of a thriller than a scary movie. It has nothing that would normally appeal to an 11 year old boy but Ryan just loves it. He watches it any time he gets a chance. Looks up stuff about it on the internet, reads about Johnny Depp and the other actors in it. He's been obsessing over this movie for about 2 weeks. Today he watched the old Scrooge with Alaister Sim. I love it....an 11 yr old boy who will watch an old black and white movie and actually enjoy it. Now he's digging thru his room finding all the copies of "A Christmas Carol" that we've bought him thru the years. And he just gave me an "instruction" that I'm supposed to hit a couple thrift stores tomorrow before work to find any and all issues of "A Christmas Carol" that they have. He'll most likely stay on the Christmas Carol kick until X-mas. After that, we'll see what's next! What kinds of things does your child fixate on? Does it bother you at all?

Replies

• bugsmama149
    December 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Yep, my son's fixations usually revolve around a specific movie/cartoon. Have you ever seen the M. Night Shamylon movie "Signs"?  Its has Mel Gibson in it. We got it on dvd years ago. My son was only 7 yrs old and he watched that movie every damn day for probably almost a year. I got a kick out of it. A movie that most kids his age wouldn't get much out of and he watched it every day. He also goes thru Spongebob phases. I swear sometimes I can't get the sound of Spongebob's voice out of my head at night!

Quoting jennafaye_87:

My 4 year old watches How the Grinch Stole Christmas everyday. This isnt anything new just because it's almost Christmas. I showed it to him for the first time last year and he has watched it nearly everyday since then. It's usually when we are eating dinner because it's the ONLY way I can get him to eat his veggies now. I distract him with the Grinch and he eats all the veggies I want him to. Another of his fixations is ice. I have a bottom freezer refrigerator and he can get ice whenever he wants. He eats it all day! Sometimes he just rubs it on his arms or legs or puts it in his nose (lol). On the brightside, however, he gets his daily intake of water just from the ice he eats!

• Yrez
    by Yrez
    December 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My son is 5 years old and he is fascinated by the logo of a  well-known Dutch department store, so he collects all the plastic bags, boxes, cash receipts, et cetera. He also loves to watch clips on YouTube and plays his favourite fragments over and over again.

• bugsmama149
    December 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Awww, lol, I love it! The things they find so interesting.

Quoting Yrez:

My son is 5 years old and he is fascinated by the logo of a  well-known Dutch department store, so he collects all the plastic bags, boxes, cash receipts, et cetera. He also loves to watch clips on YouTube and plays his favourite fragments over and over again.

• angeliabell
    December 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    It's so interesting to read everyone's posts in this group! It's reassuring to learn that other moms go through some of the same situations and experiences. :-)
    My 3 year-old son goes through phases with some of his obsessions. During the summer his favorite toys were Thomas the Tank Engine, Matchbox cars, and puzzles. Now he's into anything stackable and colorful (Legos, blocks, plastic containers) and Angry Birds (on the computer and tablet).
  • binz322
    by binz322
    December 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    My son is 2 and he is obsessed with cars. Mainly mini cars of any kind. Right now its Cars squinkies that are my daughters and he has claimed. This started 5 months ago and doesn't show signs of stopping. He has to know where they are at all times and knows if one of the 10 are missing. They go to bed with him too. He is not yet diagnosed with add just delays and spd.
  • binz322
    by binz322
    December 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Asd not add...sorry
  • mrsary
    by mrsary
    December 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    Alvin & the Chipmunks
  • love_my_angels
    December 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Mostly water and things that spinn
  • princess_1983
    December 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Angry Birds and Cars

• mali321
    by mali321
    December 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Your kids should love Christmas (if you celebrate) even more this year, with the Doctor Who Christmas special on Cristmas Day (I know that is all I hear and see about lately)!

Quoting puck4432:

My son:  Space for forever.  Legos, kinects, anything he can build.  Doctor Who but I blame myself for that.  Pokemon is the big one right now and it's making me nutsy-cuckoo.

My daughter:  Animals, soft things, littlest pet shop.  Doctor Who but again, I blame myself, and I encourage that one.  Getting obsessed with Pokemon because her brother is.  She seems to be more obsessed with Matt Smith (the 11th Doctor) than anyone else.  Hello Kitty.

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum