Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
bugsmama149
What are your child's fixations?
December 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My son (11) has been fixating on specific things for as long as I can remember. Usually his fixations last anywhere from a week to a month.  Right now it's scary movies, specifically the Johnny Depp movie "Secret Window". This is more of a thriller than a scary movie. It has nothing that would normally appeal to an 11 year old boy but Ryan just loves it. He watches it any time he gets a chance. Looks up stuff about it on the internet, reads about Johnny Depp and the other actors in it. He's been obsessing over this movie for about 2 weeks. Today he watched the old Scrooge with Alaister Sim. I love it....an 11 yr old boy who will watch an old black and white movie and actually enjoy it. Now he's digging thru his room finding all the copies of "A Christmas Carol" that we've bought him thru the years. And he just gave me an "instruction" that I'm supposed to hit a couple thrift stores tomorrow before work to find any and all issues of "A Christmas Carol" that they have. He'll most likely stay on the Christmas Carol kick until X-mas. After that, we'll see what's next! What kinds of things does your child fixate on? Does it bother you at all?

Replies

• supermomz25
    December 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

trains, trains and more trains. also legos and facts. he loves learning new facts about animals, places, things & people.

• mommaboudreaux
    December 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

We also go through phases.  For months it was skeletons, thank goodness we are finally through it!

• jthompson1976
    December 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

my daugther loves animals. dogs and cats. she has dog cat bird oh she traind bird in 2 or 3 days very fast.   my daugther pretty stuck on justin bever right now      i hear boy friend song over and over   lol   wouldnt chage any of it.  she like to vidio tape her self singing and dancing

• Basherte
    December 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I'm not sure yet. I know he loves cars, and Lightning McQueen, but he doesn't demand it to be played all the time. Just once a day.   

Although if we do happen to forget it's already been played and play it a second time in one day he doesn't complain. I think maybe the things you are talking about will show themselves a little later. He's 3. He's not showing an affinity for anything specific yet.

• Eve-marie
    December 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Fred Hammond music. It narrowed to one song - Jesus be a Fence - then he started a search and found other versions of it. He will play one version for weeks or months, then find another one. It gets annoying, specially since none of them can hold a candle to Fred.

• jeri.arellanes
    December 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    My 18 year old obsessed on trains and all things Disney. Since he's gotten older the train obsession has nearly stopped. The Disney obsession has expanded from just watching the movies over and over to wanting to know all the trivia about the movies. He still loves going to Disneyland as often as possible!
  • bugsmama149
    December 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Lol, I hear ya there. Right now my son is going thru an REM phase. We have to listen to the same two REM songs every time we're in the car. Over and over. My husband doesn't understand how I can listen to the same stuff over and over but I'm so used to it you know? I do change the cd at a point though. He doesn't get upset about it or anything. But I will allow us to listen to the same two songs over and over for some of the drive. I don't know what it's like being in his head and there's a reason he wants to hear those songs alot.

Quoting Eve-marie:

Fred Hammond music. It narrowed to one song - Jesus be a Fence - then he started a search and found other versions of it. He will play one version for weeks or months, then find another one. It gets annoying, specially since none of them can hold a candle to Fred.

• cindyjean68
    December 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

My son is anything with big wheels. Every Monday he has to watch the garbage truck go by and he stands on our porch, in his underwear (lol) waving at the garbage man. It's hilarious. He also likes big trucks. But his favorite is tractors! Most especially John Deere tractors. His 7th birthday is the 20th and he is having a John Deere party complete with tractor rides! He has loved tractors ever since he was 2.

• manifer_momma
    December 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Longterm: anything to do with outerspace/earth, and robots . Oh and guitars.

Short term: anatomy of the human body and brain. Kung fu

He's 5.
  • cindyjean68
    December 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Quoting manifer_momma:

Longterm: anything to do with outerspace/earth, and robots . Oh and guitars.

Short term: anatomy of the human body and brain. Kung fu

He's 5.

wow I read that thinking of a 12 year old ...even maybe 10..but 5! Amazing!

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN