Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
Lyn_F
Need Help for teen son-From Chicago
by Lyn_F
November 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Hello, I am new to the group. I feel like I am starting this process all over again with my son who is fifteen, diagnosed as PDD at the age of three. He appears to be regressing due to a misunderstanding in his first year of high school. He's depressed and frustrated a lot, meltdowns and throwing tantrums more than usual, worse than usual. His annual review/IEP is this week where hopefully me and his counselors can come up with a plan to help him, but my husband and I are thinking it may be time for a new school for him, but where? The school he is in is one of the best prep schools in Chicago but it may not be the best for him. If we can't help resolve his issues we may have to transfer him. If anyone has information I would appreciate it. We could also use information for therapists in chicago as well.

Thanks 

Replies

• jaydensmom1726
    November 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

i dont know how you feel about a residential school. but i have heard that this is a really good program

www.camphillspecialschool.org sorry its not clicky

• tictacmama
    November 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I have no advice but good luck!

• kikikiwifruit
    November 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

My son just started high school as well and this is our toughest transition to date.

I think the challenge of the change to 9th grade is so underrated!

I don't have any specific advice for you, but I do want to send you good thoughts.

• giftforyou
    November 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Hi Lyn_F, I too am from the Chicago area and new to this site.  I understand your frustration. I don't know if this will be helpful, but I use to receive information from Rush Medical Center...Dr. Peggy Lipkin( I believe that's the correct spelling of her name)  works with children with PDD. Perhaps a referral can be suggested through them.

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    November 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You're right.  As good as the school is, if it isn't working for him then it isn't the best fit and another school option should be considered. 

Welcome!

• Hottubgodess
    November 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Welcome!  I have an almost 9 yr old Aspie.  

Have you had a complete neurological work up done on him lately?  The reason I suggest this is we discovered one of Mike's challenges is a processing delay - slow processing as well as sequential processing (processed in the order received).  It was causing confusion and acting out.  Maybe there is something that was missed, and as he gets older, it is more apparent?  Just a thought.  

I am waving to you from across the Big Lake - I am in St. Joe Michigan.  :) 

• Hottubgodess
    November 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

And if you dont mind traveling - The Logan Center in South Bend, Indiana has the Sonya Ansari Center for Autism....fantastic group.  

Quoting giftforyou:

Hi Lyn_F, I too am from the Chicago area and new to this site.  I understand your frustration. I don't know if this will be helpful, but I use to receive information from Rush Medical Center...Dr. Peggy Lipkin( I believe that's the correct spelling of her name)  works with children with PDD. Perhaps a referral can be suggested through them.

• Lyn_F
    by Lyn_F
    November 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. @giftforyou I actually have an app with Rush in about a month. I will definitely consider seeing and neurologist and even the center in Southbend. Thanks again

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts