Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
kathyjustin
PLEASE HELP IEP MEETING COMMING UP IN TWO WEEKS
October 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM

My son Justin is 8 years old  was diagnosed with Autisum, Add, OCD, Anxiety, Depression he is going to be tested in December to see if he has Aspurgers.  I am meeting up with my son school in two (2) weeks for an IEP.  Unfornately the school does not have Special Education in the town I live in.  They are having 6 - 7 people in this meeting with me.  All I am bring to the meeting with me is all his IEP from Pre-school 1 - 2nd grade along with all the Dr's paper work.  I am affraid that the school is just going to have each person talk to me for 5 minutes which will take up the time.  The appointment is 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. Friday October 19th.  I am all alone with this situation, and may need some support.  If anyone has anything that they think I should do, or bring to this IEP meeting please I am listening. my e-mail is kathybenbow@yahoo.com    Home #847-742-8014 cell #847-873-7942 I work Monday - Friday 7-5 I will not be home until 6:30 p.m.

Replies

• N.Carter2001
    October 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    I'm not sure on what to say about no special Ed. Cause I would say the school run there own test. And if the school see problems then you can get the help if you had a good school.
  • newbievegan
    October 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I am the mother of a 9 yr old daughter on the spectrum.  I also am a teacher in 3rd grade, special ed : )  Does your school district really have no special ed?  If so, which is a travesty, call your county educational service center (should be in the phone book) and ask how your son would be serviced if he were identified.  Some districts bus their kids to other districts who have what are called county units, where kids from all over the county are serviced, and their district of residence has to provide busing.  There are two terms you need to know: FAPE and LRE.  FAPE means fair and appropriate eduction, which all students are LEGALLYentitled to, and LRE means least restrictive environment, which means that your son needs to be in the setting that is as high functioning as he can possibly handle.  In other words, he needs to be in a settig that is not below his needs, like being in a setting with all kids who are nonverbal and low functioning, would not be his LRE because being in a setting like this will restrict his growth.  last, there is a handbook that you have probably already received, called '"Whose Idea is This ".  It is the federal booklet that all parents of an IEP child get, that outlines your rights as a parent, when you feel your child is not being serviced appropriately.  You can download it and print it out from the Ohio Department of Education.  I don't know if the same booklet is available if you live in a different state, but since the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) is a federal law, your state should have their own version.  In the back is a glossary that should outline familiar terms to be aware of, and tells you where to start if you feel your son is not being educated properly. 

Don't let them try to get away with anything; unfortionately, schools try to make money off each child they can, and a child on the autism spectrum gets them more funding from your state than a non-spectrum child, and they try to educate them by saving as much money as possible.  It's disgusting, but just like any business, it all comes down to the almighty dollar.  You have to push them and not be afraid to put them on the spot by asking questions, no matter how dumb you might think the questions are!

Hope this helps, let me know if I can give you more suggestions.  Hang in there.  I know my daughter's school cringes when they see me coming, and boy, do they jump when I toss out the  facts as an educated parent, which they're not used to having very often!  Schools are terrified of getting sued, so as long as you know your facts and are vocal about them, the school should be pretty on the ball for your son!

Angie

• mamalove43
    October 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well said, Angie!  

I'm also going to an IEP meeting for my son this Tuesday so they can tell me what he's eligible for in the disability preschool here.  I've already been "warned" by his therapists that you really have to "downgrade" how he's doing because if it seems like he's not that bad, they won't give him much.  It IS about money with the schools.  It's a shame, but they will give as little as possible to save a buck.

Definitely take Angie's advise and EDUCATE yourself before the meeting!  It's true, they will listen more to a parent who really knows their stuff.  And don't be afraid to speak up!  You are your child's best advocate!

Good luck, we're all pulling for you!!

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    October 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Angie has some great tips for you.  I'd also suggest taking an advocate with you, someone who has been through the process or has knowledge of the process so that you have someone on "your" side to help you understand as well as help you get across what your son needs/doesn't need.

Good luck!

Quoting newbievegan:

I am the mother of a 9 yr old daughter on the spectrum.  I also am a teacher in 3rd grade, special ed : )  Does your school district really have no special ed?  If so, which is a travesty, call your county educational service center (should be in the phone book) and ask how your son would be serviced if he were identified.  Some districts bus their kids to other districts who have what are called county units, where kids from all over the county are serviced, and their district of residence has to provide busing.  There are two terms you need to know: FAPE and LRE.  FAPE means fair and appropriate eduction, which all students are LEGALLYentitled to, and LRE means least restrictive environment, which means that your son needs to be in the setting that is as high functioning as he can possibly handle.  In other words, he needs to be in a settig that is not below his needs, like being in a setting with all kids who are nonverbal and low functioning, would not be his LRE because being in a setting like this will restrict his growth.  last, there is a handbook that you have probably already received, called '"Whose Idea is This ".  It is the federal booklet that all parents of an IEP child get, that outlines your rights as a parent, when you feel your child is not being serviced appropriately.  You can download it and print it out from the Ohio Department of Education.  I don't know if the same booklet is available if you live in a different state, but since the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) is a federal law, your state should have their own version.  In the back is a glossary that should outline familiar terms to be aware of, and tells you where to start if you feel your son is not being educated properly. 

Don't let them try to get away with anything; unfortionately, schools try to make money off each child they can, and a child on the autism spectrum gets them more funding from your state than a non-spectrum child, and they try to educate them by saving as much money as possible.  It's disgusting, but just like any business, it all comes down to the almighty dollar.  You have to push them and not be afraid to put them on the spot by asking questions, no matter how dumb you might think the questions are!

Hope this helps, let me know if I can give you more suggestions.  Hang in there.  I know my daughter's school cringes when they see me coming, and boy, do they jump when I toss out the  facts as an educated parent, which they're not used to having very often!  Schools are terrified of getting sued, so as long as you know your facts and are vocal about them, the school should be pretty on the ball for your son!

Angie

• JTMOM422
    October 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I live in Tennessee and we have something called STEP(support and training for exceptional parents). It's a class they give on IEPs. They give a manual that is about the rights for our children in schools. Our manual shows federal and state laws for education of children with disabilities. Maybe you can pull yours up online or call the state to send you one. Don't know if it's called STEP for all states. Does your son have a therapist that can attend the meeting with you? Our meeting will be coming up and I already have my sons tutor, ABA and state IE therapist attending the meeting with me. I was told you can bring anyone you want to these meetings. I am going to bring my sons therapists to try to even out the table. I don't want to feel overwhelmed by all those people on the other side of the table. Also I was told that if you don't agree don't sign. That once you sign that it is pretty much written in stone. I wish you the best of luck.

• RKokosenski
    October 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Never, ever sign an IEP at the meeting! Always take it home and read it, think about it, etc. You have the right to do this, but the schools always try to force a signature out of you. Even if you agree with what they say, take it home read through it carefully and then decide. Also, this gives you the option to ask more questions and get more info to make your decision. Check with your state/local TACA office (www.tacanow.org), they should have an attorney that can help you for FREE! I use my state's TACA lawyer all the time. Best of luck; this is a tough process!
  • newbievegan
    October 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Also , look closely on ghe IEP where it says what services he will get, where he will get them (resource room, general ed room, etc) and how many minutes a week or day he will get them. This is important because they must follow it and some schools try to cut corners here. Definitely good advice to NOT sign the IEP until you read it thoroughly and have someone who knows the process and your son well look at it. You dont have to sign until you like what it says. Just remember, though, there may be things you need to accept about your son, too, that you might find difficult. We want our kids to be perfect, but their happiness comes first, and they cant be happy unless their parents fully accept them for who they are, even if all our expectations for them arent met. I am working on this every day with my little girl!
  • Jenalide
    October 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM

For my sons first meeting, I asked for a copy of all paper work ahead of time.  I did not want to sit in a meeting having people talk at me.  It is also hard for me to read through something while someone else is reading it, or to understand what someone else reads.  I have to read it myself  - in a quiet place.  I also wanted to know what the reports said, have my own process time, and then I was also able to come to the meeting with my questions ready to ask.  It is hard to get that group of people together again, so I wanted to get all of my questions answered! 

I don't know that schools have to do this, but I thought it was worth asking.  They were very kind, and sent me the reports as the individuals completed them.  I felt that I was able to go into the meeting as prepared as the other 8 people that were there to talk about my child!

• jthompson1976
    October 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

IM NOT SURE WEAR YOU LIVE I NO AT ALOT SCHOOL NOW THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO MODAPHY HIS WORK.I HAVE A DAUGTHER WITH ASBERGERS AND ADHD  SHE IS REG CLASS...  BUT THE SCHOOL HAS SOME ONE COME IN HELP WITH EXTRA READING. SCHOOL GET EXTRA MONEY FOR CHILDREN WITH IEP. THEY HAVE TO DO SOME THING TO HELP YOUR CHILD/   NOW I ALSO HAVE A SON WITH ADHD  ADD   SOCIAL ANXIETY DEPRESSION  INTLTION FUNCTNING  HE STARTED IN WITH A MOOD STABLISER  REALLY SEEMED TO HELP  I ALSO MOVED HIM TO A PRIV SCHOOL   HE IS SO MUCH HAPPIER. THATS A NOTHER STORY..    LINDSEY PROGRAM IN OKLAHOMA HELPS PAY FOR PRIV SCHOOL   IM SURE THEY HAVE SOME SIM IN YOUR STATE    MUSIC THERPY   AND HORSE THERPY VERY GOOD   WE DID BOTH OVER THE SUMMER

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN