Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Featured Posts
XSummersXmommyX
What weird attachments/interests/fascinations does your child have?
September 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I remember when my daughter was about...18mo-2yrs-2 1/2yrs old..she use to carry around/chew on/ and even sleep with at times...a pair of red, plastic goggles that came with her cousins Little Tykes..or (maybe it was PlaySkool) toy work bench. She LOOOOOOVED THEM...and i remember some of my daughter's father's relatives making lil snarky remarks about it...but i actually had found it endearing.

Also, i noticed that she finds the television shows "COPS" and "DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER"...FASCINATIING! She laughs when people fight or argue on tv (only on tv tho, when my father in laws screams or fights at or with me....she does NOT laugh). She even knows BOTH of the theme songs to the shows!!  She will ASK me to put them on!! She knows the channel "G4"..and will say, "G4 mommy...baaad boys!(meaning cops)". I find it really funny.

HAS ANYONE ELSE'S KID(S) HAD WEIRD OR ODD FASCINATIONS AND ATTACHMENTS?

*IF SO TO WHAT? HOW LONG DID IT LAST? WAS IT CUTE, OR OBSESSIVE?  

Replies

• dewdrop222
    September 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    !That's great! Patrick loves loves dr. Phil and loves judge judy even more. He thinks she is hysterical lol. Im fine with it, of course, bc it is regular tv lol not exactly what id pick but still it regular tv! He also has a fascination with novels. Like 600 page novels. He use to have to eve one everywhere he went. It was hysterical to see a 2 yr old toting around such a big book.
  • kajira
    by kajira
    September 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

mine is obsessed with boxes. LOL

As for me... uhm hello kitty I guess. and mastiffs... 

• twins0506
    September 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Izaiah likes TMZ. He thinks it's the funniest show on the planet. Dezmond has an attachment to his stuffed animals. He doesn't have a specific one but he always has to take one when we go out.
  • Paperfishies
    September 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    My 2 year old loves anything to do with shapes and/or numbers.
    She also carried around a marker almost always.
  • humbledmom310
    September 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

When he was 2 and 3 years old he was obsessed with Letters and Animals. He knew his alphabet and how to spell his name and began reading before he turned three. He also knew hundreds of different animals , even ones that most adults do not know. Now that he is 4 years old his obsession has turned to Geometrical Shapes and Fractal Patterns. Its hard sometimes to even get his attention away from whatever he is obsessing on. Even at school the teacher has to incorporate his interest into her lesson plan to get him to do his regular work.

• catrig
    by catrig
    September 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    robots
  • trippyhippy
    September 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

For 2 years now everything in our world revolves around trash and trash trucks.  His room is trash truck themed, his dresser is replaced with trash cans, he owns over 20 trash trucks, he makes us video tape all trash trucks and then watches the videos constantly, he does 3 2 hour beach clean up/trash pick ups per week with his dad and he is known around town for being the kid that walks around with a bucket and claw cleaning up the neighborhood.  He even used to get paid by 6 different houses to take out their trash cans and bring them back in, until we made him quit because of behaviors. 

The dumpster curtain I made

Driving a real trash truck

• skeeter1122
    September 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My son is fascinated by anything police related.  He knows all the shows and the opening themes.  He has seen so many he knows conversations without watching the show.  He has Jack the interactive monkey.  A toddler size monkey that use to clap and mimic his moves.  He used to dress it in an infants real clothes.  it stopped working years ago.  My son is now 14 and has it in his room.  At least he quit carrying it everywhere.  It still has to be in the room at bed time.  It will probably be best man at his wedding.

• caiello84
    September 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    My son is obsessed with lining up toys in a row. It's kinda cute.
  • XSummersXmommyX
    September 16, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Quoting trippyhippy:

For 2 years now everything in our world revolves around trash and trash trucks.  His room is trash truck themed, his dresser is replaced with trash cans, he owns over 20 trash trucks, he makes us video tape all trash trucks and then watches the videos constantly, he does 3 2 hour beach clean up/trash pick ups per week with his dad and he is known around town for being the kid that walks around with a bucket and claw cleaning up the neighborhood.  He even used to get paid by 6 different houses to take out their trash cans and bring them back in, until we made him quit because of behaviors.

First of all i think its AWESOME That you not only embraced his interest/fascination but it became a way for him to improve his community!! The fact that you'r neighbors were part of it is even better... i give you and your son such credit. God ASD kids TRULY ARE GOD'S GIFTS

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts