Autism/ADHD News stories, Technology, breakthroughs, treatments

trippyhippy
Autism Symptoms May Soon Be Eased With a Common Heart Drug
December 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Autism Symptoms May Soon Be Eased With a Common Heart Drug

Posted by Linda Sharps on December 12, 2012 

Many experts describe autism as a developmental disorder that can potentially result in communication problems, social difficulties, repetitive behaviors, and restricted interests. What no one can seem to agree on is what, exactly, causes autism ... and what treatment is ideal for an affected child.

The treatment question is a difficult one, because every child (or adult) with autism is different, and autistic behaviors and symptoms can greatly vary from one person to the next. While deciding on the right course of therapy will likely never be easy, there's news that seems enormously promising for those affected by the disorder: researchers believe there may soon be a drug that can help ease some of the symptoms.

In a recent study, autistic children who took this medication showed measurable improvements over a 90-day period -- and best of all, the drug's side effects were extremely mild.

The drug is called Bumetanide, and it's typically prescribed to control high blood pressure (many refer to this type of drug as a water pill). Researchers believe that the medication alters the function of a particular neurotransmitter (Gamma-aminobutyric acid), thus improving how people with autism process chemical messages in the brain.

Researchers studied 60 autistic children between 3 and 11 over a three-month period, and they discovered reduced symptoms among the children who took bumetanide:

The effects of the medication were more pronounced in children with milder autism. In case reports included in the study, some of the improvements seen included more eye contact, improved non-verbal communication, and better social communication.

There are, of course, more studies that need to be done before anyone can declare this drug to be a recommended treatment option. Children would need to take the medication indefinitely, so the potential for long-term effects is a concern. Still, the good news is that bumetanide is already FDA-approved, so hopefully it won't take many more years before we hear more about whether this medication could be exactly what many parents have been hoping for.

Replies

• lancet98
    December 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

The research makes sense from what I know about autism.   Such medications are good potential treatments.

• lancet98
    December 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I should also say, though that I  believe there is not going to be a way to alter brain growth that is already set, how the brain grows is determined genetically, eeven each step of its growth is determined by genes.  

For example, one of the autistic kids I did respite care for, had no corpus callossum in his brain.   A medication can't make up for that.   But it still can help a great deal.  Bumetanide can help to normalize the way the brain cells are signalling each other.  I wish it had been around for some of the kids I cared for. 

I think also one day there will be an effective preventative that will prevent many cases and minimize others.

Autism/ADHD News stories, Technology, breakthroughs, treatments

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN