Frugalistas

Featured Posts
mich2.0
Are warehouse/bulk stores really worth it?
by mich2.0
January 23 at 9:40 AM

We don't eat boxed food and don't buy many OTC meds either, so is getting a Sams Club membership worth it? Costco isn't an option, I wish it was. Do they have any organic foods at Sams? Would it be worth it to shop there for tp and paper towels, meat, and produce, vs. just going to Aldi?

Replies

• aneela
    by aneela
    January 23 at 10:37 AM

there was another post with similar question here..you can read some more replies
    Are warehouse stores worth the cost of membership?

but personally right now...i wouldnt get one...not worth it to me

someone in the post link said you can usually get a coupon for a free day pass or something and just go get what you wanted but it does charge a % of your purchase.

how far away is your Aldi?

• awesomemommy2
    January 23 at 10:41 AM
    I shop Costco. Milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, butter. The meats are so much better quality than Aldis. I make my membership back in 6 months on milk alone.
  • mich2.0
    by mich2.0
    January 23 at 10:43 AM

Quoting aneela:

there was another post with similar question here..you can read some more replies

someone in the post link said you can usually get a coupon for a free day pass or something and just go get what you wanted but it does charge a % of your purchase.

A couple miles. It's just as close as WM and Kroger and actually Sam's too.

• mich2.0
    by mich2.0
    January 23 at 10:44 AM

Quoting awesomemommy2: I shop Costco. Milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, butter. The meats are so much better quality than Aldis. I make my membership back in 6 months on milk alone.

I don't buy meat from Aldi since I can get it on sale elsewhere for less. I buy produce, greek yogurt, and milk from there.

• aneela
    by aneela
    January 23 at 10:45 AM

ok well that's good...so not out of the way...where I used to live an Aldi was about 40 mins away...and the quality of items wasn;t that great IMO...so i dont see the big deal about Aldi's at all. and there isn't one here where I am now.

if you have the money you can always do the membership for a year and see how much you use it and save using it. so you will know for future.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting aneela:

• mich2.0
    by mich2.0
    January 23 at 10:49 AM

Quoting aneela:

ok well that's good...so not out of the way...where I used to live an Aldi was about 40 mins away...and the quality of items wasn;t that great IMO...so i dont see the big deal about Aldi's at all. and there isn't one here where I am now.

if you have the money you can always do the membership for a year and see how much you use it and save using it. so you will know for future.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting aneela:

The first Aldi I went to was terrible and I swore I was never going back. lol After several friends  nagging me and many years, I finally tried it again. Idk if the first one I went to was just horrible or if they've gotten better but the one I shop at is great. You have to be a bit careful with certain items, but they have a double back guarantee so I just return what I don't like. I got a big container of nuts that were SUPER salty for some reason (I'd bought them before and they were fine) and dh ate like 1/2 the container before I could return it. They still refunded my money and gave me a new thing of nuts for free.

• caseyloo
    January 23 at 10:51 AM

We eat almost nothing boxed, but I find it's really worth it for our family.

• aneela
    by aneela
    January 23 at 10:51 AM

well that is really great. hopefully they keep up the standard and policy :)

Quoting mich2.0:

The first Aldi I went to was terrible and I swore I was never going back. lol After several friends  nagging me and many years, I finally tried it again. Idk if the first one I went to was just horrible or if they've gotten better but the one I shop at is great. You have to be a bit careful with certain items, but they have a double back guarantee so I just return what I don't like. I got a big container of nuts that were SUPER salty for some reason (I'd bought them before and they were fine) and dh ate like 1/2 the container before I could return it. They still refunded my money and gave me a new thing of nuts for free.

• awesomemommy2
    January 23 at 10:55 AM
    Our aldi doesn't sell 1% and milk is 50 (or more) cents cheaper at Costco. I buy a 10lb bag of chicken breasts there for $21 which is $2.10/lb and you can occasionally get a bit cheaper at the food stores but the quality of the ones at Costco and unsurpassed. Nothing to trim and since they are frozen you can take out exactly what you need so no waste.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting awesomemommy2: I shop Costco. Milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, butter. The meats are so much better quality than Aldis. I make my membership back in 6 months on milk alone.

I don't buy meat from Aldi since I can get it on sale elsewhere for less. I buy produce, greek yogurt, and milk from there.

• mich2.0
    by mich2.0
    January 23 at 11:00 AM

Quoting awesomemommy2: Our aldi doesn't sell 1% and milk is 50 (or more) cents cheaper at Costco. I buy a 10lb bag of chicken breasts there for $21 which is $2.10/lb and you can occasionally get a bit cheaper at the food stores but the quality of the ones at Costco and unsurpassed. Nothing to trim and since they are frozen you can take out exactly what you need so no waste.

Quoting mich2.0:

I don't buy cow's milk so I'm not sure what ours has. I buy almond and soy. Most of the time I just buy soy from Aldi because it's super cheap and organic, so no GMO or pesticides, etc. Almond I can get cheaper at Kroger with coupons. I don't buy chicken breasts. I refuse to pay more than $2/lb for poultry or pork so I usually end up buying whole turkies, pork loin on sale, and occasionally I'll buy beef but only on steep discount.

Frugalistas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts