Featured Posts
fassett05
Bulk Buying
July 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
You guys think that bulk buying is a.good idea when it comes to like meats, canned goods, household items . Or do you think its a bad idea? Does it cost more in the long run or is it cheaper.

Replies

• kimber2465
    July 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

it all depends on what you are buying. you have to know prices. most food is name brand. also you have to watch some thing also-ex sugar at sam's . it use to be cheaper to get the 25lb. bag. however they have started to carry the 10lb. bags. it is cheaper to get three 10lbs for the price. i hate shopping. so i tend to bulk buy. also i have a few gf's that we will spilt- like rice.

• michiganmom116
    July 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Kimber is right, you have to know your prices so you can compare.

Storage is another thing to consider.  Do you have room?  Will you have to buy another freezer (although the savings would easily negate the higher cost in electricity)?  Can you use everything before the expiration date?  It doesn't save $$ if you end up throwing out some things because you couldn't.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I think if you belong to a co-op bulk buying of natural or organic things can be great but I'd mostly rather buy dry basics that keep.

I do buy cases of canned faux meat such as Redi burger, Big Franks and so on. Just recently I also bought a case of Quinoa Pasta because it costs less overall.

I don't buy meat but my husband does. Not sure how he'd feel about buying in bulk. We don't have a big freezer so I'm not sure how it would make sense for us at all.

• DACIA79
    by DACIA79
    July 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    It depends on your habits for me its cheaper and more convenient to buy in bulk. I also don't have to go to the store as much in the winter which is great especially if it snows.
  • anotherandree
    July 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Storage is one thing.  Paying up front is our big thing.  We buy things like sugar and flour from Sam's because it is way cheaper, but the things like cereal and crackers (we find) because they are name brand we don't save that much.  We also live paycheck to paycheck so going to Sams to buy things in bulk would kill our whole week's food budget in one trip for just Goldfish crackers, toilet paper, cereal, and a case of green beans.  KWIM?

• e.sugarbaby
    July 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

totally agree with this!  We walk out of Sams with 5 or 6 things and spend over a $100.. so we have let our membership expire to see how well we do without it.

Quoting anotherandree:

Storage is one thing.  Paying up front is our big thing.  We buy things like sugar and flour from Sam's because it is way cheaper, but the things like cereal and crackers (we find) because they are name brand we don't save that much.  We also live paycheck to paycheck so going to Sams to buy things in bulk would kill our whole week's food budget in one trip for just Goldfish crackers, toilet paper, cereal, and a case of green beans.  KWIM?

• matreshka
    July 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    for us it works for paper products and hand soap. we often get free trial memberships at bjs but if we paid for the membership I don't think it would be worth it.
  • tiniowien
    July 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I bulk buy for food 

• MissMossyOak90
    July 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

i like it for water and gatorade and snacks....but i dont like to buy canned goods or anything cause it just goes to waste

• Lindalou907
    July 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

It's not worth it for me. Really depends on your situation, number of household members, what your budget is, how much storage space you have.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts