matreshka
We got our taxes back and I have an itch to shop
February 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We were able to get a good chunk of change back.  DH replaced our tv which was going and now I want a toy too!  I really want to save money but catch myself browsing jewelery and such online.

Replies

• lillucky8
    Jen
    February 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    Get yourself something too, its only fair!
  • conniejo75
    February 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    I filed mine 2 weeks ago but it wont even be accepted unil 14th due to irs delays on education credits. Ugh.
    Buy something for yourself and save the rest.
  • Cafe Steph
    February 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I agree with the others - buy yourself something pretty and save the rest. It's not often you get to do something like that for yourself. :)

• mybratsmom
    February 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Don't do it!!! Imagine where you will be with that much debt GONE!!! Besides, this piece of jewelry won't mean much - just something you bought because "I wanted it". Isn't that what got us all here in the first place? We thought we "deserved" it? You deserve to be debt free.

If you are going to buy something - look around you - what does your home need? The tv was already on its way out, so you replaced it. It's not just your husband's is it? You and the rest of the family benefit from it, right? So if you feel you "need" to buy something, what would you buy that the whole family could enjoy? A bread maker??? I miss mine - we had fresh bread three or four times a week when I had one, now it's once a week because I have to make it by hand. A Kitchenaid mixer?? I use mine for tons of things - ice cream, cookies, rolls, cakes. I probably use mine two or three times a week. A new vacuum, new tires, maybe you have a hobby that you dabble in that has been making some money??? I do - I've been thinking about a new metal etching blade to go with my metal stamps, maybe a new font set, a heat press for my vinyl business...like I said, a ton of things.

I know, I'm the wet blanket on the party. But I also know why I'm in this group, what my ultimate goal is. And I know that when I stop making things about me, and take in the whole picture, my priorities change. But this group is supposed to help us, to lift us up, to keep us in line for these moments, and to motivate us.

Yes, you're going to do whatever you want, maybe roll your eyes and stick out your tongue. I would. But I just thought I'd throw this out there - you just got some money in your hands, money that could potentially change how your family lives the rest of the year.
  • pinkcoffeecup
    February 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Me to want something. If we get a good tax return.  But no toys. I was looking at a Lazy Boy recliner chair. 

• edelweiss23
    February 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    When we get our back, I need new clothes. I am still wearing my size 20-22s because I wanted to wait until I lost more weight.

The rest is going for a down payment for our house.
  • JakeandEmmasMom
    February 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Get yourself something special.  You work really hard at saving money all year.  You have earned a splurge when you get a windfall like this.

• nmaxwell816
    February 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

We all get that way.  If you find something you really "want" make a list and wait 30 days...go back to the list, if you still want it then go buy it

• kaylasmom22
    February 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    I just purchased some makeup and might get some clothes and shoes. The rest I'm using it to buy things needed for the house.
  • matreshka
    February 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I intend to save most of it.  I totally get what you are saying. I wanted a new alex and ani bracelet which is $28.

Quoting mybratsmom:

Don't do it!!! Imagine where you will be with that much debt GONE!!! Besides, this piece of jewelry won't mean much - just something you bought because "I wanted it". Isn't that what got us all here in the first place? We thought we "deserved" it? You deserve to be debt free.

If you are going to buy something - look around you - what does your home need? The tv was already on its way out, so you replaced it. It's not just your husband's is it? You and the rest of the family benefit from it, right? So if you feel you "need" to buy something, what would you buy that the whole family could enjoy? A bread maker??? I miss mine - we had fresh bread three or four times a week when I had one, now it's once a week because I have to make it by hand. A Kitchenaid mixer?? I use mine for tons of things - ice cream, cookies, rolls, cakes. I probably use mine two or three times a week. A new vacuum, new tires, maybe you have a hobby that you dabble in that has been making some money??? I do - I've been thinking about a new metal etching blade to go with my metal stamps, maybe a new font set, a heat press for my vinyl business...like I said, a ton of things.

I know, I'm the wet blanket on the party. But I also know why I'm in this group, what my ultimate goal is. And I know that when I stop making things about me, and take in the whole picture, my priorities change. But this group is supposed to help us, to lift us up, to keep us in line for these moments, and to motivate us.

Yes, you're going to do whatever you want, maybe roll your eyes and stick out your tongue. I would. But I just thought I'd throw this out there - you just got some money in your hands, money that could potentially change how your family lives the rest of the year.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts