Frugalistas

mommy06and09
this seems like a lot to me
January 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
i was looking at a produce delivery system to try and encourage my family to eat them. the thing is its $25 a week. that seems like a lot to spend on produce. what do you think?

Replies

• Amberleigh81
    January 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    I do it. It's awesome!!! I have a hard time eating it all, I get so much. It forces me to eat new things, and I spend less at the store because I already have so much at home.

I am in NC and do theproducebox.com.
  • mommy06and09
    January 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    the problem i see with it is that my family doesnt eat produce very often. we probably only spend $25 per month on it now so we would have to multiply that by 4. the upside would be that my kids would eat that instead of crackers.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I do it. It's awesome!!! I have a hard time eating it all, I get so much. It forces me to eat new things, and I spend less at the store because I already have so much at home.

• ColieO
    by ColieO
    January 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Depends on the amount. I can easily spend $40a week on produce. I do Bountiful Baskets sometimes and it's only $15 for a laundry basket full. For me, it's worth it. We eat a lot of fresh foods though.
  • Amberleigh81
    January 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    See, I felt like it FORCED me to eat more produce since I had already paid for it. Since that money came out of my grocery budget, I had less money for other groceries so I had to get creative. So instead of eating chips and salsa, I would eat cucumbers and carrots, etc...

Quoting mommy06and09:

the problem i see with it is that my family doesnt eat produce very often. we probably only spend $25 per month on it now so we would have to multiply that by 4. the upside would be that my kids would eat that instead of crackers.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

• AzariahsMother
    January 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

What is it?

• michiganmom116
    January 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM

We eat plenty of healthy veggies and it would be worth the $25 for us....if we didn't already have a huge garden in the summer.

As it is, I plan to work at a local CSA garden this summer and in payment for 40 hours of work total, I'll get a box of produce every week.

• ziff130
    by ziff130
    January 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Normally those come with TONS of veggies. You can always can the stuff you don't eat or make a cobbler or something. FUn! I wish we had something like that here. We used to but they went out of business in our area. :(

• caseyloo
    January 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Wow, I've been looking at it since you posted.  This sounds great!

• mommy06and09
    January 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    its where companies or farmers box and ship produce to your door.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

What is it?

• AzariahsMother
    January 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Oh ok

Quoting mommy06and09:

its where companies or farmers box and ship produce to your door.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

What is it?

Frugalistas