Frugalistas

Featured Posts
heathercm26
amature gardeners
January 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM
What will you be growing this year?
Im gonna do green beans, summer squash, lettuce, tiny tomatoes...one planti also plan on throwing out some pumpkin seeds and seeing what happens. I figure this isthe easiest stuff. No canning required. Just green beans to freeze

Well also 3 cabbage plant.... and some cucumbers.. oh oh bell peppers... shit my gardens getting big

Replies

• mybratsmom
    January 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    Tomatoes, jalapeños, bell peppers, tomatillos, onions, garlic, strawberries, cucumbers, pumpkins, and spinach. I also want to learn to can this year as I felt a lot of my garden I sold or gave away. I want to keep more of it for me this year.
    I also want to start a "tea garden". I've been reading Internet articles about this and I think it's pretty neat!
  • michiganmom116
    January 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I'm no amateur....do you want to know what I plan to have in my garden?

• mybratsmom
    January 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Do share. You always inspire me.

Quoting michiganmom116:

• michiganmom116
    January 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Quoting mybratsmom:

Do share. You always inspire me.

Quoting michiganmom116:

LOL  Okay, here's your inspiration:

• green beans
    • broccoli
    • beets - both red and gold
    • brussels sprouts
    • cabbage - both red and green
    • carrots
    • cucumbers
    • sweet corn
    • kale
    • romaine
    • assorted salad greens - bibb, oakleaf, leaf lettuce, etc.
    • spinach
    • melons - watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew
    • pumpkins - pie and jack-o-lantern
    • butternut squash
    • spaghetti squash
    • zucchini
    • banana peppers
    • jalapeno peppers
    • sweet bell peppers
    • green peas
    • 4 kinds of tomatoes:  beefsteak, roma, cherry, grape

These will be in a container garden:

• Herbs:  basil, dill, chives, oregano, and parsley
    • mint:  peppermint and spearmint
    • stevia

I've not decided if we'll try to grow potatoes, sweet potatoes, or onions.

I will also have producing strawberries, apples, and grapes this year.

• a_and_j_momma
    January 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    I want to do this but need to research lol
  • MommeisQueen
    January 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM

only tomatoes

• cookinmommyof1
    January 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Last year I had red leaf lettuce, watermelon, cucumbers, pumpking, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, jalapenos, radishes and carrots. My friend kathy plants the whole produce section. Her garden is bigger than my yard. Im preg with #2 and due in july, so im not sure if I will plant this year. Maybe just a few easy things that dh can tend to if need be
  • RosePetalTears
    January 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

pumpkins are actually pretty picky and they suck a ton of nutrients out of the soil plus they need several gallons of water a day.   You might want to take that into consideration when planting your garden. I thought about doing that as a no brainer type crop this yr and when i asked one of the local farms about them thats what they told me.

as for my garden....i'll do some green beans, sugar snap peas, several lettuces/spinach/kale, radishes, zucchini, lots of tomatoes (i blanch and freeze them plus make and can sauces), bell peppers (throw some epsom salt in the hole when planting and they produce a ton), jalepenos, i have a rhubarb plant, rasperberry patch and an apple tree as well.  I might also do some eggplant because i know they grow well with tomatoes. 

I have an herb garden as well...there is basil, italien parsely, thyme, rosemary, lavender, cilantro, dill and mint in that.

• mybratsmom
    January 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    I'm going to start a post on Gardening Tips - for people like me who plant things and they end up dying or not producing. Please feel free to post your advice for not-so-green thumbs!

Frugalistas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts