Frugalistas

matreshka
If you were to purchase a new tv...
January 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

What would you look for? What would you spend?

Our tv is going and I only had it for 5 years, but it was a cheap model at the time.  With DH's taxes I guess we are going to get a new TV.  All I really care about is it having a usb port so I can put the pc screen on it and play netflix and stuff.

Replies

• michiganmom116
    January 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We just went through this:

look for expected life

check out the warranties and what they cover

we like having a HDMI port so we can hook the tablet or laptop to it to watch movies

we checked out online reviews

we also compared energy use cost

• romalove
    January 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I thought my daughter needed a tv and we bought one from Costco in early December.  It was on sale for $189.  It's a Samsung, I think it's 24" flat panel, 1080 dpi, and has the HDMI port.

Turned out she doesn't need it so we are using it instead lol.

• matreshka
    January 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I did notice that they do have the yearly expected energy cost listed on the front now (sort of like a new refigerator).  And thaks for reminding me about expected life, I am pretty ripped thatr my tv is dying after 5 years, but I got it very cheap at walmart.

Quoting michiganmom116:

look for expected life

we like having a HDMI port so we can hook the tablet or laptop to it to watch movies

• michiganmom116
    January 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

We didn't really need a new one, but when we saw a flat screen LCD TV for $99 we didn't want to pass it up.  I quickly did all on the checklist, we decided to purchase an extra warranty, and got a steal!

Quoting matreshka:

I did notice that they do have the yearly expected energy cost listed on the front now (sort of like a new refigerator).  And thaks for reminding me about expected life, I am pretty ripped thatr my tv is dying after 5 years, but I got it very cheap at walmart.

Quoting michiganmom116:

look for expected life

• HaileysMom07180
    January 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

we just got a new tv last year, we got a 3D vizio tv, we did tons of research on it and decided to go with a passive 3D tv.  We spent $750 on a bundle and got 4 pairs of the 3D glasses, the tv of course and a vizio 3D bluray player.  Its just an LCD but the picture is so clear i don't even care that its a little fatter that other tvs

• pixiemg1
    January 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I plan on getting a new one here for our living room but really havent started the research on them.  I am looking at either a 42" or 46" but not sure on the brand yet.  I already have a blueray that is hooked up to the internet so having that capability is not necessary.  

• nmaxwell816
    January 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I'm not in the market right now

• JakeandEmmasMom
    January 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Can the new flat panel TVs not be fixed?  We have an old, big box TV.  About five years ago it stopped working so we called a repai man out and he fixed it for $200.  It was a good 10 years old at the time.  It has worked just fine since then and it was much cheaper to just have it fixed than to buy a new one.  But maybe the newer ones can't just be repaired?

• matreshka
    January 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

If its going to cost anywhere around 200 to be fixed its worth it for us to get a new tv since the models we are looking at are about 300 and have usb ports for the pc plus better screens and hi-def.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Can the new flat panel TVs not be fixed?  We have an old, big box TV.  About five years ago it stopped working so we called a repai man out and he fixed it for $200.  It was a good 10 years old at the time.  It has worked just fine since then and it was much cheaper to just have it fixed than to buy a new one.  But maybe the newer ones can't just be repaired?

• diaperstodating
    January 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I am looking for advice here. I plan on upgrading to a flat screen this year. One year I used my taxes to get flat screens in the bedrooms, now I plan on upgrading the living room tv. I am a little nervous, just like I was when we switched to flat screens in the bedrooms. The regular tvs are so indestructible, flat screens are so light and flimsy.

Frugalistas