Featured Posts
Anniea90
Meatless Meals
January 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM

After talking to my mom, we have decided to do at least one meal a week without meat. We are both fine with this and think its a good way to cut back some. However, I have no recipes... and I am leary of just picking one offline and going with it. So I wanted to know which ones yall have tried or use, just to give me somewhere to start.

Any suggestions? :) 

Replies

• Anniea90
    January 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

We love mexican food! This would be great or quesdillas... Thanks!

Quoting bellaamore:

I have found the best way to start with a meat eating family is a tostada.

Smear on warm refried beans, shredded cheddar, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce. Serve this with fruit like melon on the side.

This is how we started, now we only eat meat like once or twice a week.

• Anniea90
    January 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I sent mom out to buy boneless chicken breasts the other night and even at our cheap store it was 6.99 for a bag. So I said no more... we are cutting down. Gonna use less meat all week and one day without it period. 

Quoting la-cosa-nostra:

We do pasta without meat sometimes
    Perogies
    Veggie lasagna
    Bean burritos
    Spanish rice
    Quesadillas
    Vegetable soup or stew

We don't do meatless that often in my house but I'd like to start once a week as well. We have always done pasta without meat sometimes just because I'm Italian and we have pasta like all the time so I try to mix up the kind of sauce and what we have with it.

• Anniea90
    January 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Oh! I love chili!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili Photo by: Oxmoor House

Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili

This soup has a mild chile flavor. If you want more heat, increase the amount of chili powder and don't seed the jalapeños.

Oxmoor House SEPTEMBER 2012

• Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro)

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups organic vegetable broth
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (2 peppers)
    • 2 teaspoons chili powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
    • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    • 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    • 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers (about 1/2 cup)
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

1. Combine first 12 ingredients in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

2. Ladle soup into bowls; top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.

• Anniea90
    January 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for the site!

Quoting matreshka:

I like vegweb.com for vegetarian recipes.  there are sop many things you can do with beans, In mexican dishes, just substitute black beans for meat.

Another cheap recipe I like is canellini beans with tomato sauce over sliced pan fried polenta.

Indian dishes are great too.

Tofu may be intimidating but because it has no flavor of its own its easy to marinade and season, it can be baked, stir-fried, cooked in simmer sauce, crumbled for a "scramble."

• Anniea90
    January 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We are not picky eaters at all, neither is the little one. 

Quoting JenniferW67:

I'm not a vegetarian, but I prefer meatless meals most of the time. I just feel better. My Dh love meat, so when I do make meatless meals they need to be so good that he won't feel like he's missing out. What kind of things do you like? Maybe I can suggest a few of our favorites.

There is a great vegetarian cookbook called the Moosewood something? I can't remember the name if it off the top of my head, but everything I've ever made from it has been really good.

• JenniferW67
    January 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

This is one our favorites. This filling can be used for tacos or burritos. They are incredibly inexpensive and easy. We use this mixture for crispy tacos and we don't miss the meat at all. Just be sure to add enough taco seasoning, some aren't as flavorful as others.

Lentil Tacos

1 package brown
    1 onion, minced (use more or less to taste)
    2 cloves garlic
    favorite taco seasoning packet
    salt and pepper (optional)

Garnishes

sliced avocado
    alfalfa sprout
    chopped onion
    grated cheese
    sour cream
    diced tomato
    corn tortilla (You may use small flour Tortillas if you prefer)

Directions:

Cook lentils with the garlic and minced onions, according to package directions until they are the consistency of refried beans.
    I use less water and add as I need it so I do not have to drain any water.
    Add packaged taco seasoning or fresh salsa and salt and pepper.
    The consistency should be thick.
    Warm tortillas.
    Add a spoon of lentil mixture, and your favorite garnishes.
    Serve and enjoy.

• JenniferW67
    January 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Basic potato soup is a great option. Just cube as many potatoes as you like, add a chopped onion, boil till tender, add a little butter, milk and salt and pepper. So good!

For whatever reason whenever we have this soup we have to have it with peanut butter on crackers. Total comfort food for us.

• JenniferW67
    January 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 small onion, chopped (white or yellow)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 teaspoon salt
    cayenne pepper (to taste)
    1/3 teaspoon chili powder
    1 egg
    1/3 cup breadcrumbs (preferably seasoned)

Directions:

In a small pot, combine rice and 1 cup water; bring to a boil, and then turn down to medium heat and cook 20 minutes.In a saucepan, heat a little oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft.
    Add the corn and spices and cook until the corn is defrosted, another 5 minutes.
    In a medium bowl, mash the drained beans with a fork or your fingers.
    Add the rice, corn, and onion; combine, mashing it with your fork as you go. Taste and adjust the spices now, because once you put the egg in you could risk salmonella.
    Add the egg and mix in well.
    Add the breadcrumbs.
    Form into patties by patting the desired amount of mixtured into a flat round. (I used a giant cookie scoop to make sure all the patties were the same size, but you can just divide the mixture into six sections).
    Cook about 2 minutes on each side (if you can't flip the patty without breaking it, it's probably not finished cooking).

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-brown-rice-burgers-382218?oc=linkback
  • JenniferW67
    January 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

This recipe is excellent!

Vegetarian Split Pea Soup

3 cups dried split peas
    7 cups water (may need more) or 7 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 cups onions, minced
    4 medium garlic cloves, minced
    3 stalks celery, minced
    2 medium carrots, sliced
    1 potato, diced
    fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

1 -Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot.
    2 -Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent split peas from sticking to bottom of pot.
    3 -Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potato. (You can saute these first or add them in directly if you want a fat free soup).
    4 -Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.(You may need to add extra water).
    5 Season to taste with pepper

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-split-pea-soup-233926?oc=linkback
  • JenniferW67
    January 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM

This is the last one that I'll post. I'm getting a little carried away. lol But, this is really good and cheap to make considering how much it makes.

Mariana Pasta Sauce Vegetarian

3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (I use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of my pot)
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 -6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste, the more the better I use 6 extra large cloves)
    1 tablespoon dried basil (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (can use two cans for a thicker richer sauce if desired)
    1 (28 ounce) can whole roma tomatoes, undrained (break up with a fork before cooking, go ahead and use two cans if desired!)
    1/3-1/2 cup dry red wine (you may omit if desired but good to add in, can use white wine)
    2 teaspoons sugar (optional or to taste)
    1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, a good tomato sauce needs lots so don't be shy with the salt)
    fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Directions:

In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
    Add in onions, garlic and dried red pepper flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 3-4 minutes.
    Add in the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
    Add in the Roma tomatoes with juice and wine; simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 hours (I usually cook it for at least a couple of hours) stirring occasionally.
    Season with salt and pepper and add in sugar if desired.
    **NOTE** if you prefer a thinner sauce, then add in some water.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-marinara-pasta-sauce-vegetarian-136292?oc=linkback
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN