Featured Posts
JakeandEmmasMom
Pantry Items Only!
December 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

How many meals could you make using only what you have on hand before you would need to go to the store again?  What are some examples of what you would make?

Replies

• Dianne1259
    December 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Pasta, naturally.  Soup from scratch,grilled  chicken, chicken salad, roasted chicken with stuffing, mashed Pots and veggies, "almost" Tater Tot Casserole, Salmon Cakes, Grilled Cheese and soup, quesadillas, pumpkin soup, wheatberry chili, regular chili, roasts, pork or beef, Thai Pad, biscuits and ham gravy, tacos, pancakes and waffles if I want to do breakfast for dinner. Tuna noodle casserole, risotto, beans and rice with cornbread, If I run out of good stuff, I can always resort to Ramen with veggies and cheese. . .

• pinkcoffeecup
    December 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I was thinking pantry meant non parishibles. But since it's fridge and freezer also.  Since I have a upright freezer.  Depending on how I plan the meals .  I have1 meal left of flounder fish. 1 meal of pork chops 3 meals of boneless chicken breast, 2 meals of steak, 3 meals of pork roast. 5 meals of turkey from Thanksgiving.  a meal or 2 of  breaded popcorn chicken. 4 meals of venison meat.  1 meal of ham steak,  sliced  sandwich ham meat.  2 meals of  swiss steaks. 1 meal of chicken pot pies.  5 frozen pizzas.  1 meal of veal liver. 1 package of bacon. 3 meals of brats. 3 meals of Italian sausages. 1 pkg of Andoulle sausage.  Half pkg of  kielbasa.  1 meal of tenderloin tips.  1-2 meals of beef brisket. Not including the 1 meal of that I pulled out for todays dinner.   1  pkg of ground beef.  Then the bottom drawer is full of frozen veggies. a bag of french fries.  I have a 2 containers of filling to make sweet cheese filled Polish crepes for  meals. 3 pounds of butter.  Then do have a couple cans of pasta sauce.  I have a mess of pasta and rice.  Some pkgs of instant mashed potatoes, 2 boxes of scallop potatoes, 3 cans of  pork and beans.  Some cans of kidney and black beans.  1 can of northern beans.   A few cans of tomato sauce.  Few cans of tomato paste. 4 cans cream chicken soup.  4 cans cream mushroom soup. 3 big cans of coffee. Some baking supplies that include, flour and sugar. 1 partial box of oatmeal.  A partial box of grits. A couple boxes of cocoa mix. 1 box of hot apple cider mix. a partial box of saltine crackers.  2 bags of generic Frenches fried onions.  1 bag of stuffing mix. 1 jar mayo, 1 bottle ketchup 1 bottle mustard.  2 small cans of saurkraut.  In the freezer on the fridge. I have a loaf of wheat bread. 2 packs of hamburger buns, 1 pk hot dog buns, 1 pkg Kings Hawaiin rolls, a box of garlic bread. 2 pkgs of flour tortillas. The fridge has 1 pkg celery, 1 bag baby carrots, some russet potatoes, some yellow onions.  Some sliced american and swiss cheese.  2 sticks of butter. 1 1/2 dozen eggs.  Some other odd ball condiments and other bits of food items.    This is not including what I hid away for Christmas dinner.  Which is 1 brown sugar spiral ham, 1 bag shrimp, 1 bag imitation crab flakes in the freezer. In the fridge, 1 jar pickled herring, a vaccuum sealed pre made cheese and sausage platter.  The last 2 items have sell by dates of mid January.  If they are not opened. So they will be fresh on Christmas Eve.  Then 2 food service size boxes of butter cookies cut into holiday shapes.  Those will get baked off for the meal  program at our church. That feeds the poor the 4th Friday of this month.  So we are set for a while.  I started stocking up.  Because I thought I'd not get any hours at work. During the holiday break. Which is semester break at the college cafeteria I work at. But found out. No one in  my classification signed up to work above me in seniority.  So there is a possibility of  up to 50 hours I could work. That I didn't last Christmas/semester break.   December into January  is always extra bills.  That's city taxes in December and a water bill and car insurance in January. 

• JakeandEmmasMom
    December 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Just pantry? No refrigerated stuff? Can I use water????? ;)

If I can use water, um... maybe 5-7 meals, but they sure and shit wouldn't be that nutritious!

Pasta with artichokes, risotto, spaghetti, bean & corn salad, baked potatoes, bowls of cereal with water, pancakes????

I'm out of ideas.

LOL!  You can use consider what is in your fridge and freezer also.  I just meant using things that you already have on hand.

• SlightlyPerfect
    December 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Oh, then, I could easily make 15 meals.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Just pantry? No refrigerated stuff? Can I use water????? ;)

If I can use water, um... maybe 5-7 meals, but they sure and shit wouldn't be that nutritious!

Pasta with artichokes, risotto, spaghetti, bean & corn salad, baked potatoes, bowls of cereal with water, pancakes????

I'm out of ideas.

LOL!  You can use consider what is in your fridge and freezer also.  I just meant using things that you already have on hand.

• acrogodess
    December 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Rice and beans, pasta and sauce, rice with Vienna sausage, mac&cheese with spam, rice with veggies this is just dinner. Lunch can be mac&cheese with Vienna sausage, mac&cheese and veggies, pasta and sauce with veggies, pasta and sauce, chef Boyardee, fried tuna and white rice, fried tuna with pasta roni. Breakfast can be cereal with vanilla soy milk or instant oatmeal, or pancakes as I buy Aunt Jemima complete - just at water and I can use Pam spray to keep it from sticking to the pan. Snacks can be hunts puddings, cinnamon applesauce, fruit snacks, fruit cups, chips and dip, or cheezits. We could probably eat unhealthy for a month or so before running out of food.
  • Babujai
    by Babujai
    December 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    I just did a really huge shop so I've got a ton of possible meals in my kitchen right now.
  • Scottsmommie
    December 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I could get by for a long time if I had to. We would run out of fruit and my son would not like me very much when that happened. big smile miniI am learning to make more and more thing from scratch so I keep the basics on hand so I can do that. Lots of flour, sugar, and spices.

• WildCat73
    December 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM

spaghetti, beans,pancakes, soups but it wouldbe 1 week my kids would go nuts.

• MooreBoysMama
    December 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    We would be good for 6 months including freezers. We would just need milk & produce.
  • kaitybird
    December 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Wow, I could make enough to last a few months and then some.  We have at least 25 boxes of pasta, sauce mixes, pancit noodles, rice stick noodles, spring roll wrappers.  Canned beans, Pasta Sauce, dried beans, flour, panko bread crumbs.  The list goes on and one.  I am great at being able to throw things together and they taste great!  :)

Black rice is amazingly good you can do whatever you want with that.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN