Featured Posts
pinkcoffeecup
Anyone ever try stuffing in a crock pot that was good
November 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I was prepping some of my Thankgiving meal last night.  How am  I going to have space for a big turkey and 3 pans of other things to cook.  I was debating the issue what could I possibly cook in the crock.  I thought stuffing might work.  I went online looking for crock pot stuffing.  Oh there were recipes.  So I know it's been done by some.   Just not sure how it will taste or turn out.   I figured the green bean casserole will bake while the turkey sits on the table resting a half hour before cutting.  So it's actually room for a pan of sweet potatoes to go into roast maybe an hour before the turkey is done.  My dinner for the most part is coming along fine.  Well the prep for it is. Tonight will bake some pies.  Will put the turkey in the brine. Have everything lined up ready to cook in the fridge. So I have a easier day on Thanksgiving. Well I've been a cook in the food service industry a number of years.  I know what's like to plan ahead for a big meal.  I don't want to overwhelm myself the day off.  I figure the turkey will go on at noon. About 3:30pm the sweet potatoes go on along with the mashed potatoes.  4:15 or so the green bean casserole. When the turkey comes out at maybe 4:15. I will be taking my juices and making gravy.   By 4:45 or so I will be carving up the turkey  So we can eat around 5pm.  This is rough estimates based on how the turkey is doing all afternoon.   I know this don't sound to frugal. But was going to stop for some more tin foil pans for some food. After work today.  As I need a couple other tings I forgot.  I don't really want to wash all them dishes.  So I figured tin foil pans and throw them out.  I just checked the turkey in the fridge.  It seems to be thawing just fine. 

Replies

• mommy5912
    November 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I have never done it, but would like to know as well because I don't have enough room in my oven either

• michiganmom116
    November 21, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Stuffing in the crockpot can be soggy.

Sweet potatoes can be roasted in the crockpot.

Mashed potatoes can be made ahead and kept hot in the crockpot; my MIL adds a brick of cream cheese and then some chives to hers when she puts them in the crock.

• pinkcoffeecup
    November 21, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Well I guess it means rethinking  my  food.  What will go where to save on oven space.  I have a small kitchen. It's all about space.  

• michiganmom116
    November 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Well I guess it means rethinking  my  food.  What will go where to save on oven space.  I have a small kitchen. It's all about space.  

Are you serving plain roasted sweet potatoes? 

Personally, I'd put the sweet potatoes in the crockpot.  Cook the mashed potatoes on the stove.  Let the green beans and stuffing bake while the turkey sits after roasting.

• pinkcoffeecup
    November 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I usually roast sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar on them. I can't stand marshmellows on them. Dh is not crazy for marshmellows either.  I might have to many sweet pototatoes to fit in the crock. I'll have to see  later.  Those could go on the in the morning to slow cook. 

• matreshka
    November 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I couldn't imagine cooking thankgiving here in my kitchen. It is a big open space but little to almost non existant counter space and table space.

Maybe cook what you can in advance and reheat?

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

• pinkcoffeecup
    November 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

That's what I'm attempting to do. Well at least the things that can be reheated.   I got  pumpkin pies in the oven now.  After while I will do up the stuffing in a tinfoil roasting pan.  Will do the same with the sweet potatoes.  So while the turkey is resting tomorrow.  I will have the sides heating up.  I started some more of my cooking.  The minute I got home from work.  So I can relax some of evening.   I stopped and picked up some more tin foil pans at the storre.  I'm trying to not have a boat load of dishes after dinner.  The holiday should be for my enjoyment also. 

Quoting matreshka:

I couldn't imagine cooking thankgiving here in my kitchen. It is a big open space but little to almost non existant counter space and table space.

Maybe cook what you can in advance and reheat?

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

• diaperstodating
    November 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Bump

• Gorilla_Mama
    November 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

May not be for everyone but we cook our turkey the night before. We cut it up and divide the light and dark meat in our crockpot and that keeps it warm while we finish cooking everything else. We do Thanksgiving buffet style so it works great for us.

• a_and_j_momma
    November 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM
    I have only stuffed my turkey. I would have cooked the sweet potatoes tonight and rewarmed tomorrow
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts