Frugalistas

Featured Posts
TheBabyFactory4
my thanksgiving plans
November 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM
we have always gone to my parents for thanksgiving dinner so I've never had to cook a full meal. Im used to helping my mom cook for a bunch of people and making several side dishes but since there is atleast 10 people eating its not too much and at least 2 families can take leftovers home.

Well this year Dh has to be at work for 2pm and since mom and dad live almost an hour away and we want to be there on Friday so they can watch kids while we shop we just decided not to go until after he gets off work and do a turkey dinner on Friday evenin since my family is the only one out of my siblings that can come at all this week. so Dh and i said we can do a ham dinner on Thursday before he leaves. So Im tryin to figure out a menu. Since we won't be here on Friday i don't really need a whole lot of leftovers. so if you cook thanksgiving dinner for just your family, how many sides do you normally cook.

This is What the kids and i have so far.
Ham of course
Green bean casserole (my pick)
Homemade mac and cheese (Juli's pick)
Sweet potatoes (juli's pick)
Crescent rolls (you always have to have rolls)
Rice casserole (jessi picked)
Pumpkin pudding (my pick)

But that seems like so much food for just 5 1/2 people.

Replies

• a_and_j_momma
    November 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    Sounds good to me

We always have green salad, mashed potatoes, rolls, cranberries, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, veggies (like carrots, cucumbers, etc), pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and sometimes another sweet.
  • chrissysnow22
    November 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    That sounds good to me
  • campingmomof4
    November 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Remember any leftover ham you have you can freeze for another meal.  The other food will keep for a meal on Saturday if you are only staying 1 day at your parents.  We usually fry up the leftover mac and cheese and add hotdogs to it for lunch the next day. 

Sounds to me like you have plenty of food for a nice holiday meal.  I am only feeding 4 adults this year.  I am making the same foods as I do with 20 people just cutting down the amount that I am making.  I make things with the leftovers.   I will freeze some of the turkey for later on. 

• kjbugsmom1517
    November 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Ham dinner isnt complete without mashed potatoes lol thats all id add.
  • TheBabyFactory4
    November 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Well we were given a bunch of pasta and rice so we really want to try to use what we already have

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Ham dinner isnt complete without mashed potatoes lol thats all id add.
  • pinkcoffeecup
    November 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Me besides the turkey.  We'll have stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie,cranberry relish,and Kings Hawaain Rolls.  Oh I might make corn or another veggie. But think I have enough on my original menu.   I will have a small Cheese, sausage and crackers platter.  For snacking on  during the time the tukey is roasting. 

• KenzieQsMommy
    November 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    I think thay sounds yummy!!!
  • nmaxwell816
    November 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

sounds delicious

Frugalistas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts