Frugalistas

MaskedMomma
wedding on a budget....
October 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

We recently got engaged...our wedding date isn't until 5-10-15 so there is plenty of time for planning. This is the 2nd marriage for both of us.Neither of our 1st weddings were anything special, so this one we want to actually celebrate and make everything unique and wonderful.

Between us we have 5 kids, only 4 of them live with us, the oldest is 5. We will be paying for absolutly everything ouselves. The guest list hasn't been thought about much yet but I know that it's  prob under 100 people. We'll both be in our 30s by the time the wedding date comes. My body is difficult so I know the dress needs to either be special made just for me or have a ton of alterations. (I'm 4'9, 34DDD, hourglass figure so thats alterations on length and then whole dress so it fits bust ad rest of me.)

I have no idea what we should try to budget for the wedding or what we can do to save money. so any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ria7
    by ria7
    October 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    Look on Craigslist for decor, make as much as possible yourself, try to find a cheap location, maybe even outdoors depending on where you live. Spend the most $ on things that will last like pics. Go cheaper on everything else. You can make your own invites, spray paint or borrow flower girl baskets. Buy solid napkins. We focused on having a unique ceremony. Had my dad marry us on his dad's porch. Hubby gave my dd a ring and made a vow to her. I got my dress at a wedding consignment shop. It was gorgeous and only $300 including veil.
  • ria7
    by ria7
    October 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    Also we bought flat sheets at Walmart for $3 each so we could have cloth table cloths on a coordinating color. You have to iron them and be creative about where u place the top but it worked great
  • cookinmommyof1
    October 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Our wedding is in dec. I got my dress at von maur for $158. And got clearance invites at archivers, a scrapbooking store, for $6.48/box of 25. We are making the decorations ourselves from stuff from michaels, and making the food ourselves. Our guest list is around 100 ppl, and can make all the food for under $200. Were doing italian: penne/spagetti noodles, chicken/meatballs, marinara/alfredo sauces, salad, dressings, bread, butter, parmesan, tea, and juice. Also buying canned beer. We are doing it all for around $1500.
  • MaskedMomma
    October 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

great ideas gals thank you

• ria7
    by ria7
    October 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM

if you sign up for theknot.com you can see a ton of wedding ideas. 

• matreshka
    October 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Can you try to sign up for one of those wediing reality shows? A freind of mine was on the TLC's say yes to the dress so it helped with that. I have no idea about weddings, mine cost $150 including dress corsage and JP.

In the craft stores I see a lot of wedding stuff too.

• pampire
    by pampire
    October 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM

If you plan to have  a reception with food, don't rent dishes.  Start shoppiong thrift stores now.  Buy white plates, only buy the tag of the day so you get them at half price.

• michiganmom116
    October 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM

If you know someone that sews, hire them to make your dress.  You'll have to find a pattern and material, but it'll be easier and probably cheaper for them to alter the pattern BEFORE the dress is made than to buy a dress and have alterations done.  I used the same pattern for my bridesmaids dresses.

• MaskedMomma
    October 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Quoting pampire:

If you plan to have  a reception with food, don't rent dishes.  Start shoppiong thrift stores now.  Buy white plates, only buy the tag of the day so you get them at half price.

is the cost of renting dishes that much that it's really going to be cheaper to buy them at the thrift store?

• JakeandEmmasMom
    October 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

You have a lot of time to research and price match, so that is great!  I would just start researching what everything actually costs: invitations, flowers (real and artificial), catering vs. renting dishes and stuff and cooking yourself, different venues, etc., and then just try to beat those costs.  Pinterest has lots of awesome ideas  for a DIY wedding.

Frugalistas