Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
jad1027
Maiden Name vs Married Name.
by jad1027
January 26 at 10:51 PM

Just wondering which name you use...Married? Maiden?  Combine??

When I got married the first time at the age of 29 I kept my maiden name, nothing was ever in married name.  My dad had past away the year before and I still needed my maiden name to feel connected to him.  DH understood and was more then ok with that. Marriage didn't last.

Several years later I remarried at 45.  It was very very important to DH that I took his name and so I did.  After almost three years I am finally used to it, but still identify with my maiden name...Thats my name, no disrepsect to DH or tradition, but thats what I have identified with for 45 years...

Any thoughts...

Replies

• C.H.E.L.S.E.A
    January 26 at 10:54 PM
    I use my married name. Took a while to get used to seeing it, saying it, writing, and signing it. Now that I'm used to it, my maiden name seems foreign to me. I'm so used to my married name now.
  • mischele
    January 26 at 10:58 PM
    First marriage never got a chance to change my name lol he left 3 weeks into our marriage. I did change with my second. Inlaws made it clear i wasnt family and should just be happy i have the same last name as them. Im ready to go back to my maiden name. Its who i am and always will be
  • Momtosixkiddos
    January 26 at 10:59 PM

I use my married name. I have been married since 1989 so I am quite use to the change by now.

• anotherandree
    January 26 at 11:19 PM
    It was important to both my husband and I that I take his name. It's been 15 years so I'm very used to it.
  • Tabby904
    January 26 at 11:21 PM
    I use both. It's long but it's me...
  • mrsniebo
    January 27 at 12:40 AM
    I use my married name. It may have been an easier decision to make since I was 23.
  • balagan_imma
    January 27 at 12:49 AM

I was on the fence about changing my name. DH really didn’t mind either way. When I got back from our honeymoon my boss had changed my name on my stationary without asking me. I liked how it looked so I changed it. 24 years later it’s how I identify. 

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    January 27 at 1:12 AM
    I wanted to keep my maiden name and would have bit we had kids before getting married and, really, I wanted to have the same last name as them. I did put my maiden name in mine and the kids middle name.

Now that I'm divorced, I still have my married name but thinking of going back to my maiden name after the kids are out of the house. I'm not sure yet. I've had my last name for almost 11 years now. I'm used to it bit really miss my maiden name
  • Joan1961
    January 27 at 6:16 AM

Unofficially, since my divorce, I'm again using my maiden name. Legallly, I kept my married name for the children's sake, but at work, and in social circles, I go by my maiden name.

• Element5
    January 27 at 6:21 AM
    I feel bad but I am still on my x hubbys last name.. I found it a pain in the beep to change all the legal paperwork after the 1st change so I just left it.

I should probably change it but with toddler and newborn..

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts