Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
Michelle6401
Love from your husband on your birthday
September 11 at 1:30 PM
Ladies, just curious. What does your husband do for you on your birthday? Does he get you flowers, surprise you with anything?

Mine doesn't make a big deal about it. Never flowers. We'll plan a dinner out most years but that's it. Just wondering if this isn't normal. Not looking for anyone to bash though. I guess some people don't make a big deal about birthdays. I always want mine to be special though.

Replies

• Hiker11
    by Hiker11
    September 11 at 2:40 PM
    You need to tell him this. My husband isn't one for doing much on birthday's anniversaries, Valentine's Day, Christmas, etc. but I told him that I really like to celebrate my birthday. I didn't really celebrate my 22-29 birthdays so when I turned 30, I vowed to try something new on my birthday from now one. When we met I told him this so now we go off on the weekend to celebrate.
  • Michelle6401
    September 11 at 5:29 PM
    Thank you for your advice. You're right, I have told him how I feel but maybe just not clear enough.

Quoting Hiker11: You need to tell him this. My husband isn't one for doing much on birthday's anniversaries, Valentine's Day, Christmas, etc. but I told him that I really like to celebrate my birthday. I didn't really celebrate my 22-29 birthdays so when I turned 30, I vowed to try something new on my birthday from now one. When we met I told him this so now we go off on the weekend to celebrate.
  • mrsniebo
    September 11 at 5:35 PM
    My birthday is 3 days after DH's and the day before my younger daughter's, so it mostly gets overlooked. Our wedding anniversary is three weeks after DH's birthday, so we've tried to go out and do something just the two of us around our birthdays and anniversary the last couple of years. Last year was zip lining and this year was rafting.
  • luvnature
    September 12 at 5:32 AM

We don't exchange gifts on our birthdays. We just do cards.

Since our oldest has been a teenager, we celebrate my husband's birthday, my birhtday and our son's birthday at the same time. We always go out to a nice fancy restaurant for a family dinner (my husband's birthday is in early December, I am at the end of December and our son is at the begining of January). 

• Fayanne
    by Fayanne
    September 13 at 5:50 AM

there isn't a 'normal'. However, what you allow is what will continue. If you want yours to be special, and you aren't getting it.. you should've said something a long time ago.  When you say "We'll plan a dinner out"... that's your chance to speak up. TELL HIM you want more, then give him some  suggestions. As my pastor once said, you sometimes need to hit a man over the head with a "2 x 4 of information" before he 'gets' it.

I'm in a long distance relationship. Last year he flew in to surprise me...arranging for my daughter to babysit the animals so he and I could go to a bed and breakfast for the weekend.

Does he do that every year? No. Is it 'normal' for us? No.

• Michelle6401
    September 13 at 12:41 PM
    You're right. Great advice, thank you!

Quoting Fayanne:

there isn't a 'normal'. However, what you allow is what will continue. If you want yours to be special, and you aren't getting it.. you should've said something a long time ago.  When you say "We'll plan a dinner out"... that's your chance to speak up. TELL HIM you want more, then give him some  suggestions. As my pastor once said, you sometimes need to hit a man over the head with a "2 x 4 of information" before he 'gets' it.

I'm in a long distance relationship. Last year he flew in to surprise me...arranging for my daughter to babysit the animals so he and I could go to a bed and breakfast for the weekend.

Does he do that every year? No. Is it 'normal' for us? No.

• rainiebelle
    September 13 at 12:46 PM
    We have only been together for 1 birthday. But no flowers but we went on a tour, to dinner and in the big wheel. But I would be happy with flowers and a nice dinner.
  • Michelle6401
    September 13 at 1:03 PM
    I hear ya!

Quoting rainiebelle: We have only been together for 1 birthday. But no flowers but we went on a tour, to dinner and in the big wheel. But I would be happy with flowers and a nice dinner.
  • K3412
    by K3412
    September 13 at 1:04 PM
    He treats me like a freaking princess. I love it. He loves showering me with love and affection and some gifts. It's a great day.
  • CampHarris
    September 13 at 6:05 PM

My hubs always surprises me with something nice.  This year I got a combo anniversary/birthday gift because it was a pretty damn big one.  

I would tell him how you feel cause some men need these things spelled out for them.  Do you get him things for his birthday?  I always do for my DH.

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts