Sometimes it seems like we are just winging this whole marriage thing one hour at a time. After being married 10 years, I can officially say that many of the things people told me in the beginning -- don't go to bed angry, always kiss goodbye -- haven't been the "rules" that sustain us.
In fact, the things that have helped my marriage last are sometimes things they tell you NOT to do -- junk food binges, sex when you don't feel like it, and screaming at one another. They've actually helped a marriage make it over the humps.
Sometimes it seems like the rules of the game are things you learn as you go. And it makes sense, right? We are all individuals and we marry individuals and no two marriages are the same. Still, there are SOME absolutes, so with no further ado, I give you the 10 commandments of marriage. Read them and LEARN:
- Thou shalt not cheat: Dang! Start with an easy one, but seriously. This is so obvious. And yes, this includes sexting and Facebooking old girlfriends. It includes anything your spouse (not you) would consider a betrayal.
- Thou shalt get medicine in the middle of the night: If your hubby is sick, get your butt out of bed and get him his meds. It's a small thing, and yes, he could do it himself, but wouldn't you want him to do it for you?
- Thou shalt forgo sex once in a while: It's not a written contract that you get sex whenever you want now. Respect your partner's right to body autonomy.
- Thou shalt yell and scream when angry: Good couples fight. I don't care what anyone else says. If you are getting it out, you are doing well.
- Thou shalt compliment: Look at your husband's butt after his shower. Still think it looks good? Tell him!
- Thou shalt date each other: You were together long before you had kids and you will be together long after (God willing), so go out ALONE once in a while!
- Thou shalt flirt: Don't lose that sexy banter and that flirtatious way that got you together in the first place.
- Thou shalt laugh: Don't take it all so seriously. Laugh. Crack each other up. Tell jokes and be silly. Don't forget it.
- Thou shalt rub feet and scratch backs: This should be written into the vows, people. Biggest perks of marriage right HERE!
- Thou shalt cuddle sometimes without sex: Sometimes you forget you can just hold one another without having to go all the way. Still do that once in a while, too.
What are your marriage commandments?
by DeshonsmommyFebruary 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Yeah that does not happen over here! I wish and now he has started collecting beer cans to see how much money he is throwing away, God help me.....
Thou shalt pick up after thyself
February 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM
It includes anything your spouse (not you) would consider a betrayal.
I don't get that.
by LoraKuhnFebruary 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Definitely this one!
Thou shalt pick up after thyself
by gonecraziFebruary 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Thou shalt NEVER lie to me...
by brannewFebruary 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Sometimes I think my husband is into the urine thing. He walks in on me all the flippin' time. It's wierd.
Thou shalt not cheat. Thou shalt not post about relationship problems on Facebook. Thou shalt not enter the bathroom while the other is going. Thou shalt not mess up the bill system.
by marie2409February 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM6 isn't true for my marriage. Second marriage, we both came into it with kids. Heck even in my first marriage I was pg at 17.
We cuddle every night and every morning for a couple minutes regardless of sex 😊.
These are so true in general though.
by moniageeFebruary 6, 2013 at 8:40 PMThou shalt not touch my effing chocolate!