Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
jaelynntanamom
HELP ME!!!!
February 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I am getting over a cold/flu and now i have the WORST ear ache. Any advice on how to make it stop hurting? PLZ

Replies

• firefly63701
    February 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My dad tells me every time the kids get one to use coal oil.  I have no clue what that is. lol  But i would make sure its dry and put a cotton ball in it.

• Queen_Bree
    February 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

http://www.herbal-supplements-for-you.com/homeremedies/home-remedies-earache.htm

To Soothe and Warm

Warmth is one of the greatest possible soothers and the methods of applying it have varied from heating a quantity of salt and rolling it in a cloth which is then placed in a sock upon which the aching ear is laid to hot poultices of onions, figs or hollyhocks (depending upon the region in which you lived) to draw out the pain. Chamomile heads warmed by the fire, a fomentation of hot mustard leaf, hot pancakes and baked potatoes wrapped in wool have all been urged upon the unhappy sufferer, but the most sensible suggestions are those of a compress as hot as can be stood or a hot-water bottle well wrapped in a cover upon which to lay the painful ear whilst trying to sleep. Many people advocate another hot-water bottle at the feet no matter how warm the weather, presumably in an attempt to draw the pain as far from the ear as can be contrived! The most comforting warmth for any small child is mother’s bosom and the type of crooning cuddle which will hopefully distract attention from the sore ear. Ear-ache in young children is often associated with teething troubles.

Massage can bring a great deal of relief especially if the cause of the pain is not certain. Massaging the gums behind the back teeth with oil of clove and cinnamon (not the essential oils) will ease pain related to the back teeth coming through, particularly wisdom teeth. Dilute a few drops in almond oil for young children who may otherwise balk at the fieriness.

A gentle circular massage with the fingertips of the area of the face where it joins the ear will also ease ear – ache considerably, especially if one of the soothing, healing oil mentioned under Chest Infections is used. I have also found the magical Tiger balm to be an excellent emergency treatment.

• pleasant soothing herbal teas All herbal teas, but especially summer savory, will help to relax and soothe the victim of ear-ache whilst basil tea will also relieve congestion and calm the spirit. The leaves of basil chewed fresh have double the potency.
    • Sweet almond oil This is the most commonly used oil to ease ear-ache. Warm a teaspoon by plunging it into hot water. Shake it dry and quarter fill it with the painful ear upwards and tilted slightly back then check that the oil is not too hot and pour it gently into the ear, ensuring that it goes right in and does not trickle down the face. Massage very gently under the ear where it joins the cheek. Plug it with a large piece of cotton wool (country folk used sheep’s wool because it was greasy and thick) to prevent the oil seeping out and to keep it warm. Olive oil can be used instead. One of the useful home remedies for earache.
    • Parsley Parsley oil or the juice from parsley applied on a substantial cotton wool plug is another old-fashioned remedy.
    • Essential oil of peppermint, cloves or calendula (marigold) Add 1 drop of any one of these to 1 tablespoon of almond oil and use as above. Clove oil can also be used to clean the ears.
    • St. john’s wort oil (red oil) This oil was one of the most important items on a wise woman’s inventory. Use as almond oil (above).
    • Lemon juice or onion juice Applied to the offending ear on a plug of cotton wool, either of these should stop any infection immediately. One of the good home remedies for earache.
    • Ground ivy An oil made from this delightful herb soothes ear-ache, cleans minor wounds and also makes an excellent rub on throat and neck when chesty colds are rampant. Take several good handfuls of the fresh, crushed plant and leave to stand in a jar filled with 600 ml (1 pint) of olive or sunflower oil. Macerate for one month on a sunny windowsill, shaking occasionally, then  strain through fine muslin before using.
    • Vitamin E oil or garlic capsules The capsules are an excellent method of transporting a healing oil abroad for use when ear-ache occurs on holiday which, because a lot of time is spent in the sea or swimming pools where water may be polluted, happens quite frequently. The great advantage is that the capsule can be pierced with a sterilized pin and the oil emptied directly into the ear if the teaspoon and hot water with which to warm it are not readily to hand.  
  • jaelynntanamom
    February 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I was told warm sweet oil and a cotton ball. I tried that tho and it didn't help.

• ReadWriteLuv
    February 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Oil of oregano. 

• SassyLaLa85
    February 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

put a warm compress on your ear.

• Serenity7
    February 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

• TommyAbby
    February 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I swear by hydrogen peroxide. Put a few drops in the ear and let it go to work. Try to keep it in for at least 10 min. I had the worst ear ache last week. Sure enough, when the nurse looked, it was red and there was fluid behind the eardrum. I went home, did the HP trick and by the end of the day, my ear felt much better. I did it again the next day and it was gone after that. I haven't been on an antibiotic for an ear infect in forever. I also do this to my kids.

• xoxRachelxox
    February 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

We use olive oil and garlic.

You boil the olive oil with crushed garlic. Strain it so you aren't getting pieces of garlic and obviously let it cool then put some in your ear. Let it sit for a few minutes then drain it out.

This always helps with our kids. I haven't had an ear ache in forever (thankfully) but if I get one, I'll be trying it myself.

• jaelynntanamom
    February 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Hmm i'll have to try that. My ear doesn't hurt right now but it feels like it's clogged or has water in it or something. I can't hear anything in that ear...its driving me crazy!

Quoting TommyAbby:

I swear by hydrogen peroxide. Put a few drops in the ear and let it go to work. Try to keep it in for at least 10 min. I had the worst ear ache last week. Sure enough, when the nurse looked, it was red and there was fluid behind the eardrum. I went home, did the HP trick and by the end of the day, my ear felt much better. I did it again the next day and it was gone after that. I haven't been on an antibiotic for an ear infect in forever. I also do this to my kids.

• Lindalou907
    February 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Aleve is the best thing for my pain. It's not a cure of course. I would try all these other suggestions as well.

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts