In a house where things are equally divided, there are bound to be some chores at which one spouse is better and others at which the other spouse is better. Hopefully these things balance out. Yesterday, I wrote about the five chores my husband is NOT allowed to do. This is mostly because, well, he kind of sucks at them.
Luckily he doesn't suck at everything and there is a WHOLE lot he can do that I can't. And that, my friends, is called balance.
With no further ado, here are the six chores my husband must ALWAYS do in our house:
- Take out the trash: It's not an absolute. Certainly I have done it and am capable of doing it, but my spouse is much, much better at remembering the days our trash and recycling pick up. He is also stronger, so carrying two or three bags at one time is easier. Hence, this is his job almost exclusively.
- Kiss boo-boos: Yes, I am a mom, but I am not the world's most sensitive one. When my kids fall down, they go to their daddy who is much more loving and sensitive than I am. When he is home, they prefer him.
- Getting gas/car maintenance: When it has to do with our cars, I always defer to the old hubs. I know nothing about cars (I am a cliche).
- Finding our way: Again with the cliche! I have no sense of direction, so my husband is pretty much solely in charge of getting us anywhere we need to go. It works most of the time. Except for when it doesn't and we wind up lost somewhere deep in the East Village. But that's another story.
- Paying the bills: My husband is responsible for 99 percent of the bills in our house. I am aware of what is going on, but he handles the day to day on it.
- Walking the dog: This is one I just hate, so my hubs gets the fun. But seriously, the dog just likes him better!
What does your husband do exclusively?
I agree with #1 and #5. He's just plain better at finances than I am, so he handles them. He involves me in the process and I am careful to stay under budget each week, but he really does all the gruntwork there. He's the one who takes out the trash because he leaves the house first on pick up days. So he brings the can to the curb before leaving. I bring it back in though. And it's usually about 50/50 for bringing the trash to the can.
Another one is yard work. He does all the outdoor maintenance to our yard. And I do all the indoor maintenance :)
by Bauxite-17February 4 at 12:38 AM
Taking out the trash. I hate doing it.