Love & Marriage

Thomasmom07
After 31 yrs of marriage talking about divorce!
January 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
My parents got into a huge argument yesterday because my dad left my mom at the unemployment office because she was taking to long and he was ready to go home so he left. My mom had to call me to come get her 30 min away because she didn't have a ride. She gets home tells him she doesn't appreciate being stranded with no ride and she didn't deserve that.

Things got heated and my dad told my mom that either he was leaving or she had to and if he left he didn't plan on staying around here! My mom told him she didn't want either one to leave she wanted them to stay together and work things out but dad says that's not an option so my mom is staying with me and my dh.

They won't talk to each other and divorce has been thrown around! I don't want my parents to divorce! I don't know what I would do. I wish I could do something to help them. I'm trying to stay strong for my mom because she hasn't stopped crying since yesterday afternoon! I don't know what to say to make her feel better! I know she is so tore up inside! Needed to vent to someone don't want to make my mom feel worse than she already does! I just can't believe after 31 yrs something like this blew up so big :(

Replies

• poshkat
    by poshkat
    January 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    My parents divorced after 30 years of unhappily being married. Is this something he's always done or new? Sometimes couples go into marriage and grow apart but don't really notice until the children are out of the house.
  • Thomasmom07
    January 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    My dad has always had a temper and gets angry easily but it's never gotten to the point that they have talked about divorce. I don't know if its because my mom finally stood up to him told him he is acting like an ass because she normally just drops it and acts like nothing is wrong. I know divorce happens just never thought it could possible be my parents.

Quoting poshkat:

My parents divorced after 30 years of unhappily being married. Is this something he's always done or new? Sometimes couples go into marriage and grow apart but don't really notice until the children are out of the house.

• FunnyKids
    January 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Mine did too, it's sad. I'm sorry good luck

Quoting poshkat:

• mommyof11050307
    January 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    I have no advice. I threw a party when my mom walked out. It was 18 years of hell with my parents together. To this day she's still selfish and all about her.
  • pinkysmommy720
    January 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Have you tried talking to your dad? You said they were at the unemployment office, did your mom lose her job? Maybe that is causing extra stress between them.  I know things get stressful between my parents when finances are tough even though they have no kids at home.

• poshkat
    by poshkat
    January 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Quoting Thomasmom07:

I never thought my parents would either. It seemed like things were going fine with them. Made me question my marriage and life. My sister verbally smacked me back to normal. I told her "if mom and dad do, what about us? How can we know? What makes you think we'll be ok in our marriages?".
  • furbabymum
    January 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I can't believe he left her stranded. I'd be pissed as hell at my dad.

Anyway, best you can do is stay out of it which is hard since your mom is living with you.

• Lindalou907
    January 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I'm sorry, I hope they can work it out, it sucks for you to be in the middle of this. Like the previous poster said, they may have been very unhappy for years and this is just the last straw. Or is your mom menopausal perhaps? Have they been to counseling? Any infidelity that you're aware of?

• OHgirlinCA
    January 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I don't think this is all about the unemployment office incident.  There has to be more to the story that maybe you don't know. 

• Thomasmom07
    January 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    My dad is way to stubborn to do any type of counseling. As far as I know there has been no infidelity but I couldn't say for sure. I'm trying to stay out of it but with my mom living with me is tough.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I'm sorry, I hope they can work it out, it sucks for you to be in the middle of this. Like the previous poster said, they may have been very unhappy for years and this is just the last straw. Or is your mom menopausal perhaps? Have they been to counseling? Any infidelity that you're aware of?

Love & Marriage