Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
tiredmama42
Gift from DH and kids that I hate
December 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I am not a materialistic person but my DH and kids got me a coach purse for Christmas.   I  just cant bring myself to use it.  I only carry small purses and this one is big and its got to be the ugliest purse I ever saw.  I really hated it but I know its the thought that counts.   I didnt tell him I thought it was ugly I just said I wasnt used to big purses.   My son said we hand picked that for you.  I feel bad.   Is it wrong to want to exchange it?  My Dh said it has a lifetime warranty... I am thinking great I have to carry it forever!!  I would rather have the money  for groceries seriously.  Should I suck it up and use the ugly thing to make them all happy???

Replies

• frzmamaof4
    December 29, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    I love Coach purses and I've never seen an "Ugly" one!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

I would never exchange a present that my kids picked out for me. I mean I know it's not exactly your taste but sometimes that happens when other people are picking out a gift for you. Smile, say thank you and use it once in awhile. It doesn't have to become your new everyday bag but I do think you should keep it.
  • lapcounter
    December 29, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Why can't people just be happy anymore?
  • biancalina20
    December 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    I personally would try to make use for it. If my dd chose something for me.. she would be sad if I took it back.
  • boshs1andonly
    December 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    I mean I've seen some that aren't my style but I wouldn't call them ugly. and I can see size as an issue, if you're used to carrying small ones. Still, if my child picked it out, I'd keep it.

Quoting frzmamaof4:

I love Coach purses and I've never seen an "Ugly" one!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

I would never exchange a present that my kids picked out for me. I mean I know it's not exactly your taste but sometimes that happens when other people are picking out a gift for you. Smile, say thank you and use it once in awhile. It doesn't have to become your new everyday bag but I do think you should keep it.

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    December 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

My husband and son would be fine if I said that it was too big and I wanted something different. We aren't the type to get upset about such matters though.

• justpeachy71904
    December 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Wow. If you cannot afford groceries this week take it back and say the thought was amazing but mommy does not need such an expensive gift.

Then hit those precious babies and punch hubs in the face ;)

Jk but seriously wtf was he thinking

Quoting tiredmama42:

I feel bad because they tried so hard.  I didnt add the part that it was way over our budget and cant afford groceries this week.  So I am really struggling of the right thing to do.  Common sense is really what I am leaning towards.

• merryvoice
    December 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That's a tough spot to be in! I myself am not into those sorts of things, so I get where you're coming from. I think what you did was right; you said you just aren't used to big purses. Maybe you can just tell them that you'll put it in the closet and keep it for when you need to carry a lot of things? I don't know what it looks like, but could you use it for a reuseable grocery bag? 

It really is sweet that they picked it for you! Kids aren't always going to get it right, but you're lucky to have such a sweet, thoughtful family. 

• Redwall
    by Redwall
    December 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I'd be beyond thrilled if my kids picked me out a Coach purse.  Yes, they are big and some aren't really pretty, but gosh, that's quit the gift.  NO!  Don't return it.  You'll have lots of hurt feelings.

• Hottmomma607
    December 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Whats an outlet version? They have nothing but nice things at Coach Outlets. Just left there too!! LOL
    I lost count of my Coach bags I've them from Macy's,The Exchange,Coach store/outlet!

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Uhm I know my clutch was from an outlet. And its amazing!

Trust me its real.my friend doesnt buy fake

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I have five Coach purses, post a pic of it, let's see how "ugly" it is.

Seriously, he bought you a $300 plus purse to make you happy, (as long as it's not an outlet version), that is pretty sweet.

• ttm_mommy
    December 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

The thought to take something back that my children AND husband hand picked for me would never cross my mind. My children make and buy me ugly stuff all of the time and I wear it work and out in town because I appreciate it. I don't wear it to parties but I wear it to work or to the store. I don't particularly like Coach purses but my husband buys them so I wear them. I love big purses but sometimes he bus small ones, I make use of it. I think taking the purse back to buy groceries is selfish. 

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN