Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
tiredmama42
Gift from DH and kids that I hate
December 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I am not a materialistic person but my DH and kids got me a coach purse for Christmas.   I  just cant bring myself to use it.  I only carry small purses and this one is big and its got to be the ugliest purse I ever saw.  I really hated it but I know its the thought that counts.   I didnt tell him I thought it was ugly I just said I wasnt used to big purses.   My son said we hand picked that for you.  I feel bad.   Is it wrong to want to exchange it?  My Dh said it has a lifetime warranty... I am thinking great I have to carry it forever!!  I would rather have the money  for groceries seriously.  Should I suck it up and use the ugly thing to make them all happy???

Replies

• dizziestdream
    December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I would just keep it because it was something they put thought into and wanted you to have.  I got some ugly pajamas, but I'l wear them because DS picked them out.  I could never return them. 

• tiredmama42
    December 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Quoting pittymama:

right? if it's a kiosk knock off, i'd exchange it ;)

i guess i'd have nothing to worry about because DH has never tried getting me a purse/clothes because he knows i'm picky. but if he got me a coach bag.. i'd make it work.

OP, if you don't think his (and your kids) feelings would be hurt, explain it's not your "style" and ask if it's ok if you exchange it for something similar?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I have five Coach purses, post a pic of it, let's see how "ugly" it is.

Seriously, he bought you a $300 plus purse to make you happy, (as long as it's not an outlet version), that is pretty sweet.

Its not a knock off its from the coach store.  My daughter (20) said it was ugly too.. said it looked like a old lady purse.  When she seen it she was suprised it was a coach said the gold accents made it worse.   I did tell DH it really wasnt my style and explained that purses are kind of a personal thing with women.. like underwear. He is ok with me exchanging it but he wont let me return it. 

• eesmommy
    December 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    Picture please.
  • pittymama
    December 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

maybe exchange for a small purse with a matching wallet or some other accessory that you like?

Quoting tiredmama42:

Quoting pittymama:

right? if it's a kiosk knock off, i'd exchange it ;)

i guess i'd have nothing to worry about because DH has never tried getting me a purse/clothes because he knows i'm picky. but if he got me a coach bag.. i'd make it work.

OP, if you don't think his (and your kids) feelings would be hurt, explain it's not your "style" and ask if it's ok if you exchange it for something similar?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Seriously, he bought you a $300 plus purse to make you happy, (as long as it's not an outlet version), that is pretty sweet.

Its not a knock off its from the coach store.  My daughter (20) said it was ugly too.. said it looked like a old lady purse.  When she seen it she was suprised it was a coach said the gold accents made it worse.   I did tell DH it really wasnt my style and explained that purses are kind of a personal thing with women.. like underwear. He is ok with me exchanging it but he wont let me return it. 

• FunnyKids
    December 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Yes! You sound really ungrateful

• pinkysmommy720
    December 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

If he said it was ok to exchange it, then I would.  If you aren't into big purses, then you aren't. If the kids ask, then explain that you love that they hand picked the purse for you, but that you thought a smaller purse would work for you better.

• tiredmama42
    December 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Quoting FunnyKids:

Yes! You sound really ungrateful

I really dont mean to be.  My real goal was to return it gracefully and get the money back.  Things are tight money wise and I really dont like it.  Even if it was beautiful I would still want to return it for the money to use where we really need it.  My thinking is we couldnt afford it and if that much money was used on it then I would really prefer one that was realistic for me.   I havent done anything yet just wanted opinions.  If we were well off I would have no problem keeping it and using it once inawhile.

• WesleysMom23
    December 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    I say go and exchange it for a smaller one and use the rest of the money for groceries. I have 3 Coach purses and they really do last a long time. So worth the money.
  • StrawberryCool
    December 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Uhm I know my clutch was from an outlet. And its amazing!

Trust me its real.my friend doesnt buy fake

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

• StrawberryCool
    December 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    I want a picture.

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts